Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

As best I can tell, 10 of them that I picked up on Saturday are about 10 days old, and the other two, that I just picked up Monday are maybe a few days younger.   I'm totally guessing though.  Now, I'm thinking maybe I'm rushing things a bit.  They're not very old at all.  These are pics I took yesterday.  The two younger ones are silver-laced wyandottes - they're smaller than the other girls.  The other 10 are:  speckled Sussex (6), Barred rock (1); Red Cross (1), Buff Orps (2). 

Hm, they do seem like they could be a little young but I think as long as the sun is out they can go out, especially since it's pretty warm :) maybe you could run MHP out there though just in case? Or do what june said and keep them out for very short times. After all, momma would probably have them out from day one :)

Hm, they do seem like they could be a little young but I think as long as the sun is out they can go out, especially since it's pretty warm
smile.png
maybe you could run MHP out there though just in case? Or do what june said and keep them out for very short times. After all, momma would probably have them out from day one
smile.png
That is very true. >sigh< Does that mean we're raising a bunch of over-coddled, overly self-entitled teenagers??!! Lol.

MHP warms the chicks by direct contact with the pad. Unless you attached the pad to the underside of the tube somehow, it won't work. And 60* with sunshine is plenty warm for chicks to go out and play for a bit. Just watch them. If they start to act like they are getting chilled (huddling), then bring them in for a warm up. Trips outside should start out as short excursions, no more than a half-hour at a time. Then gradually leave them out longer and longer.
And don't forget that they may huddle at first for security! If you put something new in a coop with adult chickens, they'll run away in a mob like their pants are on fire! Then they'll stick really close together and eyeball the 'intruder" until they're sure it's not going to lunge at them and eat them alive. Normal behavior - chickens don't like change and neither do chicks! So a little huddling will be perfectly natural at first until they satisfy themselves that they are safe! As @junebuggena said, if they huddle and look miserable they may be getting chilly, but do give them a little time to acclimate to the big world they weren't expecting!
As best I can tell, 10 of them that I picked up on Saturday are about 10 days old, and the other two, that I just picked up Monday are maybe a few days younger. I'm totally guessing though. Now, I'm thinking maybe I'm rushing things a bit. They're not very old at all. These are pics I took yesterday. The two younger ones are silver-laced wyandottes - they're smaller than the other girls. The other 10 are: speckled Sussex (6), Barred rock (1); Red Cross (1), Buff Orps (2).
If you are rushing things, I'm in a world of hurt! Mine have been living outside in the run since Sunday, and they are far younger than yours are. Relax....you're raising chickens, not Divas, and eventually they will have to learn that they will be living out there. The longer they never get to experience anything outside of a brooder box, the harder that adjustment will be for them - and for you because boy, will they be mad at you at first!
lau.gif

Go by their behavior ..nerve racking at first but you'll soon learn when they are unhappy.
Having a thermometer in the brooder can be a good tool to augment your observations.

Substitute 'MHP' for 'lamp'...same theory applies...tho sometimes with the MHP you have to shove them underneath and hold them there until they 'feel the heat'.

The best indicator of heat levels is to watch their behavior:
If they are huddled/piled up right under the lamp and cheeping very loudly, they are too cold.
If they are spread out on the absolute edges of the brooder as far from the lamp as possible, panting and/or cheeping very loudly, they are too hot.
If they sleep around the edge of the lamp calmly just next to each other and spend time running all around the brooder they are juuuust right!

The lamp is best at one end of the brooder with food/water at the other cooler end of the brooder, so they can get away from the heat or be under it as needed.  

Thanks aart. I will definitely keep my eye on them and read how they are behaving. I can always move them if the window isn't working. I think that's part of the appeal of the fish tank on a stand. I can move it practically anywhere I have the space. :)

That is very true.  >sigh< Does that mean we're raising a bunch of over-coddled, overly self-entitled teenagers??!!  Lol. 

Hahah nahhh! :p mine were in the bathroom for 3 weeks even though it was only supposed to be one night lol amd I brought them in the garage when it was -5 for 2 nights in a row. This was in i think February and they are 24 weeks now so they were plenty feathered but i worry lol

And don't forget that they may huddle at first for security! If you put something new in a coop with adult chickens, they'll run away in a mob like their pants are on fire! Then they'll stick really close together and eyeball the 'intruder" until they're sure it's not going to lunge at them and eat them alive. Normal behavior - chickens don't like change and neither do chicks! So a little huddling will be perfectly natural at first until they satisfy themselves that they are safe! As @junebuggena said, if they huddle and look miserable they may be getting chilly, but do give them a little time to acclimate to the big world they weren't expecting!
If you are rushing things, I'm in a world of hurt! Mine have been living outside in the run since Sunday, and they are far younger than yours are. Relax....you're raising chickens, not Divas, and eventually they will have to learn that they will be living out there. The longer they never get to experience anything outside of a brooder box, the harder that adjustment will be for them - and for you because boy, will they be mad at you at first!
lau.gif
Ummmm...I'm not sure they got that memo.
hu.gif
big_smile.png

That would be my fear too.  The glass aquarium will already hold in more heat, and with the sunlight coming in from the window that light will be amplified - as well as the heat.  I have to be blunt and tell you that I'd never do it. I, too, have heard that aquariums work.....but to me they're more like a crock pot than a cozy place for chicks.  Of course, if you still want to use it, then I won't say more to discourage you, and you'll probably find a way to make it work just fine.  ;)   If you want to use the glass tank so you can watch them, for 3 chicks, my recommendation would be a wire dog crate.  You can wire a hardware cloth skirt or even tuck cardboard around the bottom to keep them from escaping.  You still have good visibility and they can see you.  And you can hose it off when you're done!

As for bedding, I use pine shavings if they are inside, but I don't keep chicks inside but for a day to make sure they are all eating and drinking and not suffering shipping stress.  Chicks need exposure to cooler air - they can't be in constant heat surrounding them from all points and thrive.  Survive, yes.  Thrive, not in my opinion.  So I brood mine outside and when I do I use straw. Mne are out there right now, and rather than suffering they are growing like crazy and feathering out beautifully!

Welcome to the Broody Brigade, and remember that your dues are photos of your babies and your setup!

I'd like to say that I could just put them outside but our weather has been all over the place and I just don't trust that it's warm enough yet. It's still going down to 0C or lower at night. I don't trust that we've seen our last frost. Once the weather is more consistent I love the idea of having them out in our run in a safe area where they can interact with the hens. Although I fear my silkie will try to steal them. Lol she's been broody three times over the winter. Silly bird. Lol
I also have two big dogs in the house so I would feel more comfortable with the chicks up higher....I will most definitely take your advice and make sure it doesn't get too warm for them. If I need to move it away from the sun that will be easy to do. Using the fish tank is more about convenience than being able to see them. Although my toddler would definitely be able to see them more easily in the tank. I will do some more research and make sure the chicks I bring home will thrive! I'm not one to just go get birds and then ask now what...so I'll be prepared. :) thanks for your advice. And when we do bring them home and get all set up I will for sure post pics!! :)

I'd like to say that I could just put them outside but our weather has been all over the place and I just don't trust that it's warm enough yet. It's still going down to 0C or lower at night. I don't trust that we've seen our last frost. Once the weather is more consistent I love the idea of having them out in our run in a safe area where they can interact with the hens.

As long as the chicks are protcted from the elements, have wind breaks and their heat pad chicks do fine in colder weather. We moved ours outside when they were 5 days old and at two weeks we had a snow storm. They were in an uncovered run in a dog kennel brooder with a make shift roof. They did fine...

Back
Top Bottom