Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

My four chicks are just about done with MHP. At just over three weeks, they aren't using it at all during the day, even on 60 degree days like we've been having.

Instead, they find opportune spots to gather to loaf, like on top the broody cage.

They are getting used to sleeping in the coop and have the heating pad on a lower setting. By the weekend, I doubt they'll want to sleep under it.

By the way, I just noticed the two light chicks appear to be getting straight combs instead of the normal EE pea comb. Seems a bit strange.

My four chicks are just about done with MHP. At just over three weeks, they aren't using it at all during the day, even on 60 degree days like we've been having.

Instead, they find opportune spots to gather to loaf, like on top the broody cage.

They are getting used to sleeping in the coop and have the heating pad on a lower setting. By the weekend, I doubt they'll want to sleep under it.

By the way, I just noticed the two light chicks appear to be getting straight combs instead of the normal EE pea comb. Seems a bit strange.

@lalaland The printed side does seem to be the warmer side. Seems like the "fluff" on the other side makes a difference. Some say it doesn't, but I think it definitely does! I don't usually turn mine on until the chicks are here. I flip it on when we get home. Then, as I take each one out of the box and make sure it knows where water is, I tuck it under the pad. Don't usually have to do that with but one - most times I don't even have to tuck them in at all....as soon as they've had a drink they hightail it underneath...training time over.
lau.gif
You can turn it on ahead of time if you want to make sure you don't need to tweak anything, but I just don't generally bother.
The printed side of my pad does get a tad bit hotter. It doesn't really matter how for in advance you turn on the pad, you aren't heating the 'cave'. Heating pads get up to temp in minutes, and it's contact with the pad that will warm the chicks. Remember, it's not an ambient heating source. It's a contact heating source. That's the important bit.

thanks Blooie and Junebuggena! I tested it out and decided to add more shavings underneath to get their backs closer to the heating pad
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Originally Posted by lalaland

I've been following the thread for awhile, and am just about ready for the 25 chicks coming thursday morning.

Questions:
1. I read but can't remember or find the post: the printed side of the pad is the hotter side?
2. How far in advance of the chicks arrival do I turn on the mhp? I can do it overnight, or I can do it 3 hours before I get back home with them.

I set a 4'x1' grate up with giant carriage bolts, and put two king sized pads on top lengthwise - a long rectangle. I know it might be better to put the pad on the bottom, but the grate is like a shoebox lid - I thought the 1 inch sides would keep the chicks from trying to squirrel between the pad the grate because they would have to get on top, dig under the hay in order to get trapped.

I"m bringing empty water bottles with me when I pick them up - I can fill the bottles with hot water when I get there as it is predicted to be a bit chilly (low 50's) and the feed store is about an hour or so away.
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lala: If you're putting those chicks in the car, and not slinging them in the bed of a pick up truck, they most likely will be plenty warm in the car if you dress lightly and run the heater. Remember... chicks are packed 25 to a box, and survive several days of shipping without extra heat. When I got my first batch... In Feb. There were only 6 of them. I just cranked the heat, and drove home in a short sleeved shirt. They were fine. (1/2 hour drive) I then wrapped my coat around them to bring them into the house. With my next shipment, I took my heating pad and a converter. Plugged the pad into the cig. lighter, and set it under the chick box. Again, dressed lightly, and used the car heater.

What are you using for a grate? How far apart are the wires on it? I recommend that you wrap the grate and pad in some sort of covering to prevent the chicks from getting stuck in the grate wires, or between pad and grate. This won't matter whether grate is above or below pad. Chicks are absolute genius when it comes to novel ways to commit suicide. Stranglulation and entrapment are two of their favorites!

The grate is part of warehouse caging - so the wire on it is about as thick as chain link fence wire. Openings are about 1x1.5 or so. I think a chick could possibly get its head through but not the body. I'm trying to think what I have that is 4 feet long that I could wrap it with. maybe a burlap sack. table cloth? oh a bath sheet towel maybe.
thanks!

Last edited:
I have one with straight comb and one with flat(cushion?) comb, like a wynadotte.......depends on what they cross them with.

Yep, so do I! They look pretty doggone comfortable up there, Azygous!

Kendra's surgery is over. She's in recovery and doing well. It's been a long, emotional day, and now we start the hard part - her recovery.

Back
Top Bottom