Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

The azygous chicks are trying out a new way to transition from MHP to coop sleeping. The heating pad cave was really getting cramped and they really don't need much in the way of heat any longer, especially now that the night time temps have climbed out of the freaking 40s ! So I asked my friend who has cats if she had a napping pod that the cats weren't using.

She did and she brought it up today, and we tried it out with the chicks. I put it on top the broody cage they love to loaf on, and they hopped right into it and it appeared they thought it was the best thing since sliced bread was invented.

So tonight I placed it in the bottom nest box where their MHP has been for the past two nights, and they took right to it. I didn't want to let them get used to sleeping in the pine shavings in the nest box and have to break them of it. This way, when I figure they're ready to begin roosting on the perch, I'll simply remove the pod.

Aren't they just the cutest things in their nesting pod? I lined it with Glad Press and Seal so the poops will just shake out in the morning.
You are brilliant! And your chicks are so doggone cute!

The azygous chicks are trying out a new way to transition from MHP to coop sleeping. The heating pad cave was really getting cramped and they really don't need much in the way of heat any longer, especially now that the night time temps have climbed out of the freaking 40s ! So I asked my friend who has cats if she had a napping pod that the cats weren't using.

She did and she brought it up today, and we tried it out with the chicks. I put it on top the broody cage they love to loaf on, and they hopped right into it and it appeared they thought it was the best thing since sliced bread was invented.

So tonight I placed it in the bottom nest box where their MHP has been for the past two nights, and they took right to it. I didn't want to let them get used to sleeping in the pine shavings in the nest box and have to break them of it. This way, when I figure they're ready to begin roosting on the perch, I'll simply remove the pod.

Aren't they just the cutest things in their nesting pod? I lined it with Glad Press and Seal so the poops will just shake out in the morning.

Wow, what a great idea!

I'm beginning to think that Glad Press-n-Seal is the best thing since sliced bread was invented!

I wonder if I can wrap the entire coop floor and lower walls in it, so the poop shakes right out...

Last edited:
And so many people don't understand why I'm nuts about animals! Not only are they cute as babies (like most babies), but they appreciate what you do for them, and it's so rewarding watching the evolve and grow under your care.

Wow, what a great idea!

I'm beginning to think that Glad Press-n-Seal is the best thing since sliced bread was invented!

I wonder if I can wrap the entire coop floor and lower walls in it, so the poop shakes right out...
Wouldnt that be great!!! I wonder if you can wrap roosts in it???
lau.gif

So kitten is back in the box with a proper MHP. Mama cat seems to have accepted her, I am thinking she is just unable to compete with the siblings.

Hopefully she will make it through the night.

How's she today?

--V

Saddly she passed in the night. Maybe I shouldn't have given her back to mama, but for a while she really perked back up. But when I found her a couple hours later she was getting cold and weak again.
The rest of the kittens are healthy and hardy. They even started eating the milk soaked catfood I used to get mama to stay in the barn. (They were in my garage and I moved them to the hayloft)

Back
Top Bottom