Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

So this years MHP youngsters will be 5 months old next week, doesn't seem possible. Grabbed a few shots, they all are becoming handsome young cockerels. The grey one seems to be our favorite for a replacement for our BO roo. He is the alpha, the friendliest so far (I know that can change), learned the rat proof feeder first and is already working in tandem with our BO roo as far as alerting the flock for danger. He also seems to know that he is handsome and seems to like to pose.

Last edited:
I don't have chicks yet but saw this thread and am excited to use this method. I'm in Oklahoma and the daytime temps are still 100. I'm thinking if outside they need a fan! So I may wait for milder temps.

welcome-byc.gif

You can put your location in your profile for future reference, most of us won't remember
wink.png

If you order chicks now they will probably start laying next February or March. Do you have your coop set up already? You will want to make sure there is plenty of ventilation and shade given your location. They also need plenty of ventilation in the winter, in ALL climates.

Hi:

I tried your mama pad and had a disaster. My chickies crawled up in between the wire frame to get closer to the heating pad and I had 2 that actually got strangled on the large wire. My solution was to take the Glad Cling Wrap and actually wrap the heating pad along with the large wire frame all together so that the babies cannot snuggle up in there and get caught. It works wonderfully with that modification.

Really sorry to hear you had that happen! A couple of others had the same problem and posted here about the importance of making sure the chicks can't get between the pad and the frame. It has been said more than once that chicks are born looking for a way to die.

If the pad is strapped UNDER the frame, it is less likely the chicks will try to get between them. And if the frame is smooshable, make sure it is low enough in back that the chicks can touch the underside of the pad without effort. If not smooshable, make sure the shavings are thick enough that they can reach the pad.

In any case, I think it is still very prudent to make sure they can't get trapped anywhere in their brooder.

It's not just the mamma heating pad that can trap 'suicidal' chicks. I've had chicks almost strangle themselves with a broody hen's feathers. And the hen was running around looking for the chick, but didn't realized the peeping was coming from herself. Some of them are just born with a penchant for getting into trouble. Basically, if you hear a chick screaming in distress, go check things out.

It's not just the mamma heating pad that can trap 'suicidal' chicks. I've had chicks almost strangle themselves with a broody hen's feathers. And the hen was running around looking for the chick, but didn't realized the peeping was coming from herself. Some of them are just born with a penchant for getting into trouble. Basically, if you hear a chick screaming in distress, go check things out.
I was JUST thinking about this...had the same thing happen.

welcome-byc.gif

<Snip!>
Really sorry to hear you had that happen! A couple of others had the same problem and posted here about the importance of making sure the chicks can't get between the pad and the frame. It has been said more than once that chicks are born looking for a way to die.

If the pad is strapped UNDER the frame, it is less likely the chicks will try to get between them. And if the frame is smooshable, make sure it is low enough in back that the chicks can touch the underside of the pad without effort. If not smooshable, make sure the shavings are thick enough that they can reach the pad.

In any case, I think it is still very prudent to make sure they can't get trapped anywhere in their brooder.
When I got my latest batch of chicks a few weeks ago I tried a new twist on the MHP idea that would prevent chick-icide by their getting caught between the pad and frame, I wrapped the pad in the frame. I cut a piece of 1/2" hardware cloth a little wider than the pad and curled the edges of the HC around the edge of the pad, creating what was in effect a 'one-piece' bendable heating pad. As you can see by the pictures there is no way the chick can work it's way between the frame and the pad (unless perhaps it was hatched on Krypton!
tongue.png
).

You can then cover the top with whatever covering you want to keep it clean and prevent them from getting their little talons caught in the mesh.

Last edited:
When I got my latest batch of chicks a few weeks ago I tried a new twist on the MHP idea that would prevent chick-icide by their getting caught between the pad and frame, I wrapped the pad in the frame. I cut a piece of 1/2" hardware cloth a little wider than the pad and curled the edges of the HC around the edge of the pad, creating what was in effect a 'one-piece' bendable heating pad. As you can see by the pictures there is no way the chick can work it's way between the frame and the pad (unless perhaps it was hatched on Krypton!
tongue.png
).

You can then cover the top with whatever covering you want to keep it clean and prevent them from getting their little talons caught in the mesh.
How did that hold up to the weight of the chicks getting on top of pad?

Placed in the brooder box as it is with the ends against the sides? Very well, as it forms a braced arch structure. I have had all five (3 Wk old) chicks on top and it has shown no sign of buckling. By the time they get heavy enough to be of concern they will probably have outgrown the need for the MHP anyway, if not the brooder box itself!
Chicks aren't that heavy.
jumpy.gif

Placed in the brooder box as it is with the ends against the sides? Very well, as it forms a braced arch structure. I have had all five (3 Wk old) chicks on top and it has shown no sign of buckling. By the time they get heavy enough to be of concern they will probably have outgrown the need for the MHP anyway, if not the brooder box itself!
Chicks aren't that heavy.
jumpy.gif
Oh wow 3 weeks in that tote?
No doubt the curve is strong pinned down in tote.

Those are old pictures, I posted them the day before the chicks arrived. And their are only five of them. Unfortunately that's the biggest tote I could find. They are only staying there until they feather out enough to go outside and i can get the new coop built anyway, and I'm starting as soon as the lower 40 is bushwhacked (this weekend).
Muffins layed another 'Celeste' egg today!
ya.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom