Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. monkcat

monkcat Chillin' With My Peeps

Azygous, I'm so glad she's doing better! Good call on the salve. Loving the name, as well!

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Good to expose her to the others and visaversa...should probably keep doing that regularly to avoid integration issues later.
    Wonder if you could put her cage, with heater, in the coop so they are always in sight of one another?

Her innards may just be abnormal for some reason and not be absorbing nutrients, could be why she got 'sick' in the first place and may never resolve.....
    .....or she might just take longer to catch up to her hatch mates once she recovers and her innards are working again.

Best of cLuck to yas!

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Azygous, have you considered fermented feed, or perhaps you're already using it?

Deb, I'm perplexed about them not needing the MHP at night. Yes, I agree with you, that's most likely the case, but it just doesn't fit my paradigm!

4. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    LG, they wouldn't all fit under Mama Hen at this point either. We are so used to them "needing" a lot of heat until they are like 6 weeks old that it is a bit disconcerting when they no longer use the pad - and so early, too. But as long as they are "perky" and active, they are doing fine. At this age they should be spending more time on it and around it than under it, so they sound like they are right on track to me.

I checked a couple of eggs yesterday while making Ken's breakfast. One looked fertile, one didn't. So giving Agatha eggs could well be an exercise in futility. We'll see. I'm going to give her all Marans' eggs, hoping that with an EE roo and a Marans hen I'll get some green eggs. I don't understand the genetics all that well, but that's what I read on the Olive Egger's thread, so we'll see. I need to evict the Tinys from the brooder in the next day or so. I'm having more trouble with the Littles attacking the Tinys than I'm having with the Bigs. Doggone it.

5. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    My littles decided it was time to integrate with the tinies last night. I went out this morning to find the tinies huddled in the corner of their side, and 3 littles in there with them. The tinies were no worse for the wear. But, the littles were making sure that they knew who the bosses were. So, I lifted up their partition, ushered the littles out to the lower level, and let the tinies have the whole loft for a while. Then, I sent the littles to the sun room area, and let the tinies have the loft and the lower level. This coop is fantastic for working out integration issues. Jack and several of the girls have been hanging around the old coop for the past few days, very interested in the action of the chicks. So, I brought one of the tinies out and held it close to the fence so he could inspect it. He gave it a good look over, and then started picking up and dropping little pebbles. Didn't make any noise. I hope it was a tidbitting, "I want to take care of you and feed you" action, and not a challenge. Opinions? He never raised his hackles, never really looked like he was in a challenging mood. He's never been exposed to chicks before. Has been attentive to "semi-broody" dom when she was hugging the nest.

6. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Scout is fantastic with all the chicks, both the Littles and the Tinys. I don't even worry about him, despite his past reputation for beating the soup out of the big girls. He got a 2 day time out for that and I haven't seen that behavior repeated. But I'm prepared, just in case. He does the same thing - that tidbitting behavior - and they come running to see what he's found. So I guess we're in good shape there. My only concern is that the Littles are so tough on the Tinys. Wish I could so it the way you can. All I can do is open the side of their pen up, leave it open just enough for them to fit back in but no bigger birds, then hope.

I really want to use that pen for Agatha. I mean, it's already set up - all I have to do is take out the cave and put her basket in there and she's all set. She's definitely serious. Been sitting on the same wooden eggs for three days now. I really like that if there are any issues and she abandons the chicks, I have a ready alternative in MHP.

7. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

LOL... may be they have a different paradigm.... [​IMG]

people ask me why I dont feed grain to my horse or put a blanket on her in the winter or build a barn for her to live in.

Flat straight out answer... she doesnt need it nor want it. She does need shade so I built her a huge shad shelter. And she uses it. Jet black horse in 105 degree heat.... she uses the shade. But in winter time she will stand till the snow builds up on her back and she looks like Pie Ala Mode. you shove your hands into her very roebust winter coat and she is cool not cold. I was told by other more experienced draft horse owners to only worry if the snow is melted off. This means they have a temperature.

Now a Thoroughbred would be standing and shivvering and needing a wind break and a dry place to get out of the elements... different physiology between breeds of horses... and there will be different physiology within those breeds as well.

I would assume following that logic the same will be for chickens...

deb

8. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

natural daddy roo action... hes going to be good with them I suspect.

deb

9. lazy gardener

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    I'd love to let them all in together, but all they have for fencing is the un-charged electronet. And they can slip right through it. And the juvies have proved several times today that they will take a chunk out of the babies every chance they get. It would be tempting to let the babies in with the main flock for a week, and then let the juvies join them. But, there's the predator issue. There was a small hawk sitting in a tree overlooking the poultry yard today. But, oh my goodness. That second batch of babies is so stinking cute. They came running to me several times today when I called them. Of course it's cause they are looking for food. But... they're awesome. They'll pile into my hand to munch on crumble.

10. maybaby45

maybaby45 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2015
    My girls are a week old today! I turned down the MHP to 5 and removed one of the towels I had underneath. I also folded the towel on top so it was shorter on the side and front. It's not even dusk and they are all hanging out on the edges, running out to eat and drink then back. Maybe it being cooler and being outside for 2 hours has them ready to roost.

I've got 4 that I can't ID the breeds, can someone take a guess?[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

The black ones are really docile but the yellow and black ones are quite feisty and have pecked my BO around the eye until the fuzz was all gone. I used Neosporin on it and they stopped (it must taste bad)

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by