Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

2. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Our 3 week olds seem to do the same as yours. We have been in the 40's here and they pile on the side of the brooder at dark, not in it. I have the het pad on 2. They are all active in the am and eating well. I did notice this am when I went out for chores there were a few lounging in the cave.

Here are a few shots of our littles...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is a shot of our broody Cornish, she is dedicated. I have been taking her off the nest for food and greens. She will let me take her off with some noise and she is good, she makes a bee-line for food and then will take a dirt bath and then back to the nest. Do you guys suggest separating her our from the main flock? She is currently in a small nest box in the main coop. I ask because she is my first broody, I know some people remove the broody. She does fight with flock mates when she is out and the rooster tries to court her but she just screams at him. Also last broody question, I gave her 7 eggs but somehow she has 10 now. I was bad and didn't mark the eggs so I don't which she has been sitting on longer. We are at day 8, should I candle the eggs or what should I do about the 3 that got added later. It was about 4 days into her setting that she got more eggs. Thanks!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

@Blooie sorry about your chick.

Edited due to typo, I typed heart pad instead of heat pad...

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B

4. LindaB220

LindaB220 Overrun With Chickens

Aug 23, 2013
    Portland/Vancouver area
    Funny that you should mention it, one of my favorite threads is about raising CX's and excited about it. ---- I don't have a one, but it's a great thread. This thread is a great one and I don't have a MHP. Deep South and too hot for it. I'll use it this winter though. But I still come here often and enjoy the great friendship and learning. It doesn't have to be on topic.

5. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

You got extra eggs because other hens are laying in her nest, which you've probably figured out by now. If you have a space separate I'd put her there so that it doesn't happen again. I'd not make her come off the nest for food and water either...they know when they need to get off the nest and don't need us to make them. Each broody is different and they act different about such things at different times during the brood...interrupting her natural instincts is just a waste of time. I'd just make food and water available nearby and leave her to the job.

You could eliminate all the clears but it's likely she will eat those anyway as time goes along if she's a good broody. If you don't want to take that chance, then go ahead and candle and remove.

1 person likes this.
  6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop

7. FlutterbyChicks

FlutterbyChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2015
    I'm a bit late to the thread here, and just didn't have time to go through all the posts. I made a sort of cave with a little wire shelf, a heating pad, and a towel. I have 5 two-week old chicks and 2 four-week old chicks. I've been using a 250watt red brooder light, but I have it so high now to drop the temp, I feel ridiculous wasting all that electricity.

Just a question. I put it in today (but still have a lower wattage light shining in because being without a light freaks them out), and so far they just lay on top of it. It's not bad if they do that, right?? I have a thermometer on top, and it says it's about 82 on top. They seem to love it, but I just want to make sure the heat on their feet isn't bad for them. Weird question, I know. But I'd love to switch to this full time and then slowly take the light away at night. They're in a dog crate in the garage. It's pretty warm in there, maybe in the mid 70s most of the time.

Thanks for a great idea!

8. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I use a 60 watt light for 'daylight'...room is north facing and rather dim even with large windows,
    then turn if off late afternoon so they go to sleep with the natural sunset.

9. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    I'm out of ideas for saving this Legbar chick. Sunny is eight days old but no bigger than the day she arrived in the mail. She won't eat the chick feed, tried fermenting it with no results, no longer is interested in the tofu. She got excited about eating several meal worms a few hours ago, but she doesn't seem to have the energy for even those now.

She seems to be losing weight, if anything. He neck is skinny and eyes are beginning to bug out due to her losing what fat she had under her skin. If the Corid was fighting cocci, it seems she would be getting better, not worse.

I am afraid I have a chick that is simply a victim of failure to thrive, and it's inevitable I will lose her. [​IMG]

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by