Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. COChix

COChix Overrun With Chickens

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Ok so I will leave her alone and right now I don't have a space for her to be separate from the flock. I could set up a dog carrier in the main coop, but figure she might be fine in the current nest box. It is one of our lower and smaller nest boxes so it is more out of the way. If I didn't have our littles in the small coop, I would have her brood in there. I don't think I can split it up and have her in there currently. I will watch for her when she is off the nest and mark the eggs she has just to assure that we don't end up with more in her nest. I will let her have the 10 eggs and see what she does as far as eating the clears. I am hoping she will be a good broody.
    Aww darn, I was rooting for her. Keep us posted.

2. maybaby45

maybaby45 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 20, 2015
    Oh I was hoping she was making a turn for the better!

So nighttime temps here are 68, I can move these girls outside with MHP no problem right? I actually think with 9 together they would need less heat outside than with the A/C on inside. I guess I could bring them in at night but Eleanor my RIR is flying around in the brooder and I would hate to wake up with a loose chick in my house.

3. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Oh, no! I was so hoping she'd continue to rally. Maybe she still will - I was ready to cull Scout one night and decided to wait until I was thinking with my head and not my heart. Glad I did - he was a different chick the next day. But you are there, and I'm not, so I'm not seeing her and holding her.

I would certainly think so. I brooded mine outside from teeny tiny and it was wayyyy colder than that. Just see that they don't get so overexcited by the new environment that they forget where MHP is! They shouldn't need to come in at night as long as they have the heating pad.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Azygous, I've been following the issue with your little legbar. So sorry she's not improving. It seemed that she had turned the corner. One thought comes to my mind, and I don't know why. But, have you given her any soil from your yard? I'm thinking that if she's destined to die anyway, you might just as well try to boost her system with some good old soil "flora".

5. Beekissed

Beekissed Flock Master

Sure can! I've had them outside in 40* weather with a HP brooder and no worries. And I mean really outside, no wooden walls to protect them.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It can depend on how old they are and what ambient temp they're used to....too big of temp swing as too young an age could throw them for a loop.

I had a broody hatch 7 of 7 this winter, luckily hatch day was heat wave of about 38F, but we had a low of -12F when they were just a week old.

7. perilloux5

perilloux5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2015
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Having a light on during the day is fine, but you need to turn it off at night to get them used to roosting without a light. As for the heat they will adjust themselves for what they need as long as you have a heat source available.

8. COChix

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    @azygous was just curious how Sunny is doing this am?

9. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    She's still about the same. Came out from her cave, drank some water, looked at her FF and went back into her cave.

I'll try the sod. They were all in the run with the adults, same sand as the adults have been living on and in, so I was thinking it might have what the dirt outside of the run has, but I realize there are living microbes in soil, so they will all get a hunk of dirt with grass growing in it this morning to mess around with.

10. COChix

Jun 12, 2014
    Colorado
    My Coop
    Good to hear and our babies go nuts when you give them sod, they love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by