Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Blooie, Mar 4, 2015.

1. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller

There are a few.... . Not soft and pliable as a heating pad but each is close to 90 bucks.

Brinsea at Rural King

[​IMG]

Sweeter Heater

[​IMG]

premier supplies

[​IMG]

The warmer is small 47.00 large 73.00

The dome is small 15.00 large 29.00

FarmTek doesnt seem to have one.

deb

WannaBeHillBilly and ben0125 like this.
  2. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    [​IMG] Yep, that's what I said when someone said something about marketing this idea. I just wasn't smart enough to include photos and prices! [​IMG]

3. sierranomad

sierranomad Chirping

Feb 2, 2015
    Mokelumne Hill, CA
    What a great idea! The closer we can get to a broody hen the better. I am subscribing to this thread.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Just got my heating pad(same as Blooies) yesterday and am playing with(testing) it.
    I'm using a rack, think it's out of a grill or oven, similar to this baking rack one I made last year inspired by the same sources as Blooie was.

I will make a page with the details of the build later once I've decided on the final design.

One thing I'm wondering is if you could put that peel and stick stuff right on the heating pad cover?
    Just on the top and down around the edges so poops can be wiped off.
    I've never used the product but will buy some soon and test it to see if the heat will make it 'glue' to the fabric of the cover.
    Says it's fine to use in the microwave, so I assume it can take the heat....but not sure what it would do to the fabric.

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Silly babies! Went out to check on the Bigs and the Littles, and one of the Littles had escaped! She was cavorting around the run like she owned the entire place! The other chickens hadn't paid any attention to her, I guess, or she probably could have been hurt. After an episode of Keystone Cops trying to catch her, I put her back. First thing she did was make a beeline for the cave, so she'd probably been out for a bit before I caught her. She was kinda chilly, and probably a little freaked out at having this giant human running after her. Mama Heating Pad offered what a broody hen does - warmth and security. I don't know where she got out - there isn't a single opening that she could have even squeezed through! I looked and looked but I found nothing. Guess I'll have to observe throughout the day and see if she tries again.

I turned off Mama Heating pad for about an hour yesterday. I know this method is very safe, and I trust it but it probably won't hurt - since the heating pad has been on continuously since Monday - to give the heating elements a little cool down. The Littles didn't even notice. The straw and the cave retained enough heat to keep them comfy, even with the pad turned off. But I did forget to turn off the auto-off feature when I turned the heating pad back on. <sigh> Some proponent of a new method I am! Luckily I second guessed myself and went to out double check! So if you use this method and turn off the pad for any reason, don't forget that you have to reset the auto-off bypass switch!

Heading back out to gather eggs in a bit and hope I remember to take my camera. They've gotten so big and they are so feathered out it's crazy!

@aart (Boy, I love this feature that tells you a new post has come in while you're working on yours!) I thought about putting the Press 'n Seal right over the pad too, but didn't because I was also concerned about the constant heat fusing it to the pad. I opted to use the towel for that reason, and also because it adds an extra insulating layer to the setup without getting too warm for them to snooze on. Try it both ways if you'd like.....if we can save a step in the process based on what you learn, we're all better off for it. Oh, and the Press 'n Seal really sticks to the towel! You have to really pull to get it off! And that's with it not coming into direct contact with the pad itself.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your build and pages about this. I'm still as excited about it all as I was the first time I saw Ms. Lopatin's video!

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Yeah, I was wondering how well that stuff stuck...putting it right on the pad is probably not a good idea, I don't want to ruin the pad cover.
    I used some vinyl material last year to cover the pad but it's not working out as well with this pad and rack.
    I'll keep playing with it, thinking about it, I just set eggs yesterday so have 3 weeks to figure it out.

7. azygous

azygous Crossing the Road

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    That Press n Seal is terrific stuff, but Blooie, you were right in not putting it directly on the warm heating pad cover. Over time, the adhesive in the product transfers itself onto the surface to which you applied it, requiring solvent to remove it if it's a hard surface. Of course, laundering the heating pad cover would probably get it removed if it can be laundered.

Blooie, is there anyway the fugitive could have flown up onto a surface and then hopped out of the enclosure? It looks awfully high, but you never know. You should call that chick Houdini.

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    You have experienced this?

You can machine launder the pad I got....hand wash cycle and low heat or air drying.

9. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    Well, I found out where the Little got out! We put a piece of wood between two bars on the brooder run to suspend the food and water. Smarty-pants FLEW up there, then skinnied out the gap in the bars and down to the floor of the Big's run. As you can see it's a pretty good height but she wasn't one bit hesitant! I watched her do it - and caught her just before she made good her escape. Said gap has since been closed to tourism!

[​IMG]

jjulian812 and ben0125 like this.
  10. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    Today's video of the Littles. They were sorta congregating more on MHP than usual, but I was between them and the rest of their run. I may do a video once a week or so until they are out of the brooder completely, just to see if this method needs any fixing as they get bigger, but so far all I see is that in the next few days I can lower the heat a notch and will have to raise the cave a bit to accommodate their larger bodies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: