Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Can you show a picture of what you do after it's set up? I love that I have everything I need for this setup and I would love to SEE (not just read about) how you continue the setup.
Not really understanding what it is you are trying to ask. Once it's setup, you just put the chicks under. As they grow, you adjust the height. As they feather in, you reduce the setting on the pad. Pretty darn simple.

MichelleT,
There are a LOT of images in this thread...it may take a while to go through, but there are many ways to set it up and they're all document d as well as pics of chicks using them.
On my screen (mobile), there is an area on the right with recent images from the thread and a hyperlink to "view all"
W

I'm just thinking about the towel/t-shirt/press-and-seal set-up. I have not gotten through all the pages yet, true, but I haven't seen what I'm looking for so far… Only ones with chicks already inhabiting the MHP. I'll just do my due diligence when I have a chance this weekend. sorry.

I'm just thinking about the towel/t-shirt/press-and-seal set-up. I have not gotten through all the pages yet, true, but I haven't seen what I'm looking for so far… Only ones with chicks already inhabiting the MHP. I'll just do my due diligence when I have a chance this weekend. sorry.
At the very beginning of this thread are some pretty clear pictures of setting this up. And to see how the updated setup works, this would be a good page to start...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/956958/mama-heating-pad-in-the-brooder-picture-heavy-update/450

Whew....a lot has happened on here since I was on yesterday.  I was checking in, but we were on the road and I just hate typing responses on my phone when we're on bumpy roads and going from having signal to no signal every time we hit the hills. 

Chicken Curious, I'm curious.....did you mean six week olds?  They shouldn't be even needing heat at all by this stage so that should free up MHP completely for the new chicks.

Donna, LG has hit it right on the nose I think. Whether you decide to treat or not is totally up to you.  I get the need to fix fix fix - I did that with Scout and while I don't regret it, I wouldn't do it again.  That's just me.  As most folks know, I have two disabled granddaughters, both with different degrees of autism and one of them with Spina Bifida besides.  But I had to learn not to equate their issues with a chick's issues.  Maybe that sounds cold-hearted.  Whatever you decide to do, I am in your corner completely.

Blooie, thanks for chiming in. I am now at a point where I don't know what to think! I went to TSC on Wednesday and bought some Nutri-Drench and immediately put it into the water. Then after many phone calls I finally located some Selenium on Thursday night to go along with the Vitamin E and hand-feeding formula I had already found. The thing is...since making sure little miss tiny had a good drink of the Nutri-Drench in the water, I haven't seen her "crazy chick" behaviors even once! She seems just as normal as all the other chicks! Granted that I haven't been able to check on them every 2 hours during the day like I had been doing with all that's been going on following my sister's death, but she honestly seems just FINE! Now I don't know whether to treat her with the Vitamin E and Selenium or not! I can see there's never going to be a dull moment with these chicks!

Donna

Don't worry too much. Keep it simple. You just need something to keep the poo off the heating pad. It doesn't have to be fancy or complicated.

Blooie, thanks for chiming in. I am now at a point where I don't know what to think! I went to TSC on Wednesday and bought some Nutri-Drench and immediately put it into the water. Then after many phone calls I finally located some Selenium on Thursday night to go along with the Vitamin E and hand-feeding formula I had already found. The thing is...since making sure little miss tiny had a good drink of the Nutri-Drench in the water, I haven't seen her "crazy chick" behaviors even once! She seems just as normal as all the other chicks! Granted that I haven't been able to check on them every 2 hours during the day like I had been doing with all that's been going on following my sister's death, but she honestly seems just FINE! Now I don't know whether to treat her with the Vitamin E and Selenium or not! I can see there's never going to be a dull moment with these chicks!

Donna
<sigh> You gotta start asking easier questions! I'm over saying "I don't know." Makes me feel like the class dunce. But I don't know. I've never used either Vitamin E or Selenium so I can't say one way or the other if you should give it. My gut says if she's doing well, don't mess with success but keep those things handy in case things go south.

<sigh> You gotta start asking easier questions! I'm over saying "I don't know." Makes me feel like the class dunce. But I don't know. I've never used either Vitamin E or Selenium so I can't say one way or the other if you should give it. My gut says if she's doing well, don't mess with success but keep those things handy in case things go south.

I would listen to Ms Common Sense. If the chick seems okay, hold off on the Vit E and selenium. Perhaps the Nutri-drench had the nutrients the baby was lacking, and it responded well to them. I'd keep the Nutri-drench up for another week since it can only help.

MichelleT, I wasn't trying to chastise you; only point out where the resource you want is. I can try to take a few pics of my new one today since there are no chicks using it yet, but I don't claim to have the only Or best way of doing it. :) as a matter of fact, the small hardware store close by didnt have the threaded rods or long bolts I wanted so I made do with only partially threaded and it means the legs are kinda long to start...I just built the litter up underneath, but if that doesn't work once the chicks are here then I'll drive to the further store. Mine's not snuggly on bottom, but I figure the expensive Brinsea plate isn't either.

Back
Top Bottom