Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

To scare newbies....
lol.png
And make a buck or two in the process!

Actually though, in fairness, I have to say that with my first batch of chicks I found those ironclad instructions helpful. I had no idea what I was doing, but everywhere I looked the information about how to raise them was the same, which gave me what I most needed then - clear-cut, consistent information. Millions of chicks have been raised that way for decades. It wasn't until Patrcice Lopatin's video that I realized that there might be a better way for those of us who want to raise healthy chicks but don't have the luxury of a broody hen. Then Bee did her natural incubation experiment and I was totally sold on putting together a plan that gave my chicks the most natural start possible. If not a single person had said, "This looks great - I'm gonna do this" that would have been fine too. I wasn't out to change years and years of chick raising methods - I just wanted to change mine.

I was a nervous, stressed out wreck with last year's chicks, as Bee, LG, Linda, and so many others can tell you. Not this year. This year's chicks are basically raising themselves. I feed 'em, I water 'em, I clean up a little poo, I make sure the heating pad doesn't go out, and I enjoy them.

I was a little different...as usual.
tongue.png

I never really looked for information when I got my first chicks through the mail, so didn't know they were "supposed" to have a heat lamp and have this or that temp in order to be comfortable. I approached it much like a mother does a baby....used what was on hand to create warmth and then watched the babies to see if they were comfortable. I used a goose neck desk lamp and a towel to retain heat in the brooder, didn't measure temps, etc. Did just fine, didn't lose a chick. Even turned out the lamp at night after the first week and located the brooder next to the chimney for warmth at night so the babies could sleep without that light glaring on them all the time.

Those instructions are nice and all, but common sense can get you there just as fast and with less worry and hassle. Heat lamps are fine if you are brooding out in a barn or large, outside area but they are just not necessary in a more climate controlled home. That can be done quite well with an ordinary incandescent bulb in any kind of lamp that can overhang the brooder.

LOL... I raised my first chicks in a cage on the back porch.... With a 40 watt light bulb... no wind breaks but lots of bedding....

My second batch of chicks were raised in a rabbit cage again in the fresh air with a plain ole light bulb...

I did ask my dad though. His dad was a sharecropper. Dad had a weath of info he never used.... turned away from farming when he left highschool. He told me if they were peeping they were too cold... LOL... that was about it.

never mind the benefit of living in a mild climate and I was raising chicks in the summer.

I do so want to do either a heating plate or heating pad when i start up again.

we will see.

deb

Took the MHP out yesterday. They are too big now and it takes up too much space in the coop. They are eight weeks now and fully feathered out. The coop has been in the garage but in the next week or so, it will get wheeled out into the yard. Other than loosing one in the first week, they are all doing great.

The chicken tractor has an automatic water that I installed. Six nipples outside and 3 inside. Yesterday I mounted a solar motion security light. Hopefully this will keep predators at bay and give us some light when we approach the coop. I have an automatic feeder built and just have to install it. The waterer got 2" PVC and the feeder is 4" PVC. Most of the modifications have been done with the thought of making it more easier on us. I figure the last piece of the puzzle is a automatic door.

The MHP was much better than a heat lamp and has served its purpose. I highly recommend this for folks with new chicks. Thanks again Blooie!

Took the MHP out yesterday. They are too big now and it takes up too much space in the coop. They are eight weeks now and fully feathered out. The coop has been in the garage but in the next week or so, it will get wheeled out into the yard. Other than loosing one in the first week, they are all doing great.

The chicken tractor has an automatic water that I installed. Six nipples outside and 3 inside. Yesterday I mounted a solar motion security light. Hopefully this will keep predators at bay and give us some light when we approach the coop. I have an automatic feeder built and just have to install it. The waterer got 2" PVC and the feeder is 4" PVC. Most of the modifications have been done with the thought of making it more easier on us. I figure the last piece of the puzzle is a automatic door.

The MHP was much better than a heat lamp and has served its purpose. I highly recommend this for folks with new chicks. Thanks again Blooie!

Hey Grizdad I just noticed your post count.....
welcome-byc.gif
from the San Diego High desert

deb

welcome-byc.gif
Sounds great!!!! You might want to do like I do. I put a 2' length of 2"x4" fencing on the ground outside of the coop and staple it down. If would be a snap to pull up the staples to move it if you move your tractor. A lot more secure along with the lights.

That's one part of the HP that I like the most...they sort of self wean from it, even if you don't turn it down as time goes by. They just perch on top if they are too hot to go inside and pretty soon they don't need it at all.

With the heat lamp you have to raise it up or turn it off on warm days and as they feather out, etc. And there's always that time when the days are really warm but the nights still chilly, so you have to be on hand at dusk to turn on their heat source, etc.

With the HP, you just set it and forget it and let the chicks interact with it as they see fit.

I sped up the process and moved them out today. They seem to like the new environment and took to the nipples in no time. I was kind of amazed but once the first girl hit it and figured it out, they all were getting drinks.

Back
Top Bottom