Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Yes. Leave it on and let the chicks decide if and when they need it.

^ X2

With it so warm there (I'm in the same boat), you might set it on low and leave it on. If they want the warmth, it's there. If they don't need it, they'll be out and about. That's the nice thing about the MHP -- it's a place to get warm. It doesn't warm the whole environment, so leave it on. Chicks really are good about knowing what they want and as long as they know where it is -- be it food, water or warmth -- they'll take care of it themselves.

I have some 5-day-old chicks out in the coop right now. The pad is on low 24/7. The heat here during the day is in the mid-90s, and the nights are mid-to-high 70s. If they need the warmth, they know where it is.

Yes. Leave it on and let the chicks decide if and when they need it.

Okay, will do. Thanks for the suggestions, being that I really am a new egg when it comes to raising chickens...;-). Gotta say that I LOVE the heating pad over the heat lamp, and am VERY appreciative for all the great input in this very long thread. I read pages 1-120!

I left the MPH on at 3 and here they are at 8:00 am...

Yes...the beauty of this shelf is that each shelf is easy to move. As soon as the girls can fly up, I plan to enclose the second shelf. Just too many other priorities at the moment.

I'm at work praying these 6 fluffy butts are safe and sound. They arrived with just enough time for me to get them in the brooder and quickly dip beaks before I had to leave for work! I will snap a pic of my brooder set up when I get home. I gave them a nice 'cave' to snuggle under mhp.

Sorry it's a poor shot, the lighting in the barn is terrible. But you can see they figured it all out, the heating pad is nice and warm and they pop in and out at will already. When I went to check after I got home half were in half were out
1f60a.png
This makes me happy to see.

I taped the heating pad to the top a small bucket, secured it as well as possible. Then I draped a towel over the top and taped that down too. I built up a lot of pine shavings to make sure they could get their backs in contact at the back and hang out at the opening if they prefer.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom