Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

@Blooie @aart and @bruceha2000 ,
I just want to thank you for this thread!
Before we got our first chicks I was looking for a way to brood them without a heat lamp, and happily, I found your MHP threads on here!

We actually raised one batch in a wooden brooder in the barn, they did great and feathered out very nicely and weaned themselves off of it at around 2.5 weeks (they were hatched on 4.29 (15 of them) and probably mid-April-ish (five we got at TSC).
At that point we moved them outside to the run with no heat and they did great (we did lose 6 of them, 1 to a sad accident and 5 to a storm and our stupidly trusting that they will find shelter...).

Tomorrow we're getting 15 more Littles! And they're going to go straight out in the run with the Bigs, separated in their own little mcGyvered brooder. With the MHP!

I'm a little worried about them getting wet if it rains; I'll set up a tarp right over their brooder if I need to.

Here's our set up. I'm thinking the pad may need to be raised a bit - I'll have to see when they get here!

Open to any comments and suggestions, I want them to be happy and healthy :D

Oh! I do have a question. Actually, two.
1. Do you think the brooder needs a chicken-proof roof? One of the Bigs was apparently in there earlier today, checking it out- there was some poop on the table. But no-one else went in and I think she was in there just briefly. A roof would make the whole thing more complicated but if it's necessary....

2. Do they need pine shavings? Just in the cave, everywhere, or nowhere? I have some I can use, and can buy more on the way to the PO tomorrow if I need a large amount. The ground is large gravel, dirt and some weeds I didn't pull out :p

20190603_163900.jpg 20190603_163841.jpg
Btw, I've added a piece of plywood to cover those gaps in the back/left corner, thinking about the rain.

Here's our set up. I'm thinking the pad may need to be raised a bit - I'll have to see when they get here!
Being able to easily adjust the height is important....a bit higher in front and lower in back so they can somewhat self regulate.

Electrical devices should be absolutely and completely protected from any rain,
what you have there is dicey at best, disastrous at worst.

So... do you think it will be better to keep them in the barn brooder for 2-3 weeks and then integrate into the run flock?
My goal was just to have an easier integration, as I can't keep the two flocks separate for long. Once they start outgrowing the barn brooder, they'll have to join the others in the run (but by then won't need the heat and I guess I could just put them in that little section I fenced off until they fully integrate....
I can also run a tarp on the run roof to prevent rain from getting in. Though I don't think much will, anyway - the barn will block it as it comes from that direction.

What would you do, @aart ?

The height is adjustable, the pad is attached to a piece of wire fence and I bend it to adjust as needed, as well as use the pieces of wood.

The "cave" most definitely needs to be higher, looks like it is only 3/4". Most start at 4" in the front and 2" in the back so the birds can get their backs up against the pad. Adjust height as the birds grow.

I'm somewhat concerned that you lost birds in a storm. What sort of predator and weather proof coop do you have? The brooder area should be part of that. And yes I would put a chicken proof cover over the top of the brooder area. The big chickens will get in if for no other reason than to eat the chicks' food.

I ended up setting up the tiny chicks in the barn brooder. They'll be cozy and dry there and it'll be a lot easier to keep a close eye on them during this super-fragile stage.
The MHP wasn't as low as it must seem in the picture. But anyway, now that I moved it anyway, it's the perfect height - they duck slightly and can stand with their backs right against the pad. They love it!
I'll post some new pictures from my phone in a few minutes.

731F9E54-91DC-4CA2-876C-B4A98B94EA2C.jpeg
I’ve got the new open concept MHP ready to go for the bantam chicks arriving this week. I’ve set the legs of the MHP to 2” in the back and 2.5” in the front. It looks really low but the wire rack setup isn’t as bulky as the wood frames I used for the cave setup. I also haven’t covered it yet. I’m debating just using some old dish towels that I could toss if they get too soiled. The last time I used press-n-seal to cover I found little pieces torn off. I know the chicks will tear up whatever I put in there I’m just not too keen on the possibility of ingesting plastic. I’ll figure something out as I don’t want them pooping directly on the heating pad. Here’s the basic setup, sorry about the black and white picture it’s actually the night vision from the chick cam I have setup. I have a few things to tweak but I think it will work well.
*the little box is the remote temperature/humidity sensor.

*the little box is the remote temperature/humidity sensor.
When using a pad you do not measure heat on floor of brooder like with a lamp. Surface of pad is usually about 100-120°F(measured with an infrared gauge), but mostly go by behaviors.
Might need to be lower than 2" for bantam chicks.
Here's a nice informative post about using a heat plate:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...my-brooder-plans.1293399/page-6#post-21053270

I’ll figure something out as I don’t want them pooping directly on the heating pad.
I just use a piece of cardboard, with a piece of plastic underneath it.
upload_2019-6-10_6-44-37.png

Then just toss it when done or it gets too dirty.
upload_2019-6-10_6-45-22.png

@aart it's just so I can see that everything is on and working the more important sensor is the one that lets me see the ambient temp in the shed, it can get hot in there. I have the receiver up in the house. I adjust off of chick behavior usually, I have a infrared thermometer around here somewhere that I used on the first few batches of chicks.

I haven’t had bantams for a long time. I figured I might have to lower it a little but it looks so low as it is.

I like the cardboard idea. I just got rid of a bunch of boxes wouldn’t you know. Maybe I should order something large from Amazon.

I like the cardboard idea. I just got rid of a bunch of boxes wouldn’t you know. Maybe I should order something large from Amazon.
WOW! I gotta remember this one! " But Darling, I had to buy that from Amazon! I need the cardboard for my chickies!"
Works for me! Now, what do I want to buy today...:oops:

Back
Top Bottom