Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

What setting should the the heating pad be on? I have a 50watt heating pad with 3 settings. Will their backs get burned if it's on the highest setting?
I set mine up, turned it on, waited about 10 minutes for it to heat up and then I put my hand in there and held it to the heat source for about 5 minutes. It was hot, but not burning or uncomfortable, for my hand. Figured that would work for the chicks, and it did. :idunno

My heating pad only had one setting, but it worked for them. I figured mama hens only have one "temperature setting" themselves, right?

For reference: I needed a new coop last year. My father lives out of state and is a brilliant builder. Covid kept him from being able to come out and help me build one (father-daughter project we’ve always wanted to do) so I purchased a temporary place-holder coop. It’s one of those kits that looks “cute” and say they can hold 20 chickens, but are really only safe for maybe 4. I’ll be glad to have my new coop in the next couple of weeks.
I might suggest having an enclosure inside the run for the first week or two when they are small and stupid. You could use a wire dog crate with cardboard around the bottom half of the sides to hold in bedding, etc. That way they won't get lost from their heat source or something like that. It would also allow you to do special bedding for them the first couple weeks if you want to do something different than you do with grown hens.

@LightMadeLiquid I assume you live in a somewhat warm climate? Your profile doesn't show a location.

I've always used plain pine shavings in the coop and the brooder area. The first couple of days I put paper towels down on newspaper when the kids are in a box in the house. After that they go to the brooder area in the coop with fresh shavings.

I get my girls in early June. I've found that works best for me as I tried late April/early May twice and all but one of those chicks started laying in the fall then quit for the winter. The June chicks have always laid through their first winter.

I might suggest having an enclosure inside the run for the first week or two when they are small and stupid. You could use a wire dog crate with cardboard around the bottom half of the sides to hold in bedding, etc. That way they won't get lost from their heat source or something like that. It would also allow you to do special bedding for them the first couple weeks if you want to do something different than you do with grown hens.
That is a great idea, I have an old dog crate I could use or I could even use one of our old baby gates!

@LightMadeLiquid I assume you live in a somewhat warm climate? Your profile doesn't show a location.

I've always used plain pine shavings in the coop and the brooder area. The first couple of days I put paper towels down on newspaper when the kids are in a box in the house. After that they go to the brooder area in the coop with fresh shavings.

I get my girls in early June. I've found that works best for me as I tried late April/early May twice and all but one of those chicks started laying in the fall then quit for the winter. The June chicks have always laid through their first winter.
I live in Colorado, so not a particularly warm climate. I will have them sheltered from the elements and I have a heat lamp on hand in case I need it. I think I'll put down a few layers of old bed sheets for the first couple of days and remove the layers as needed for cleanliness.

I'll start by saying I'm planning on letting the chicks let me know what they need and just rolling with it and trying to ride the brooding wave.

I have seen a lot of different opinions of when to move chicks outdoors. From "Out of the shipping box, into the outdoor brooding area even if its below freezing/below zero" to "Keep them indoors for a couple of days" and some people who do the first few weeks indoors.

I have a plastic tote ready to go if they need to come inside, a partition for if they need a smaller space in the run, a heat lamp if they seem to not be getting the heat they need from the heating pads and an amazing local shop to get anything else I need as I go.

So finally here's my latest question: What is your preference of when to put them outside and why?

So finally here's my latest question: What is your preference of when to put them outside and why?
Might be good to start a new thread in the raising chicks forum for more opinions.

When I hatch, or buy from the store, I like to keep them in the brooder in house for a couple-few days to make sure they are all eating and drinking. then I will move them outside to reduce the noise and stink in the house.

I live in Colorado
Hers's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1615748359161.png

Back
Top Bottom