Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

I have my MHP set up in the corner - Front is open, on side has "fringe" hanging 1/2 way to the floor, and the 2 sides with fabric to the floor with solid wall behind. I had 12 chicks in there. When the chicks get about feathered in about 3/4 of the way (3-4 weeks), they started to sleep on top of the MHP. There is enough room for them all to go under the MHP at that age, but they seem to prefer to be "roosting" on top of it. One day the barn cat followed me in and startled them and they all hid under the MHP, so I know they will all fit at that age, lol.

I have my MHP set up in the corner - Front is open, on side has "fringe" hanging 1/2 way to the floor, and the 2 sides with fabric to the floor with solid wall behind. I had 12 chicks in there. When the chicks get about feathered in about 3/4 of the way (3-4 weeks), they started to sleep on top of the MHP. There is enough room for them all to go under the MHP at that age, but they seem to prefer to be "roosting" on top of it. One day the barn cat followed me in and startled them and they all hid under the MHP, so I know they will all fit at that age, lol.
That is too funny! And thank you for the info! I'm just thinking that I'll go into this with an open mind and an open plan and make adjustments as I go.

I think I can get away with having two pads. I'm actually thinking that I might make the heating pad holder just a liiiiiittle wider and longer than the pad to try to eek out a couple extra inches of warm living space even if it's not space that they can get their backs up against the pad, it'll hopefully still be something that they'll be able to utilize for some extra elbow-room as they get bigger.

How big is your plate?
Where is your brooder?
I had 16 chicks under a 12x24 pad, just barely kept them until 6 weeks.

My brooder was made from a big plastic tub so it is 18" x 30" total space which is kept in my sunroom in the house. The pad I'm using is a Sunbeam XL 12x24. I have a piece of wire fence (2x4 grid) that I bent over some 2x4s. I wrapped the pad so it comes all the way down in the back but also wraps under the sides so they could lean into it from the back or sides. Only the front is open. the sides and back of the MHP "cave" butt up against the sides of the brooder so the whole "space" under the MHP is probably 15"x12".

Like I said, this work GREAT for 2 chicks and they used it until they were approx. 5 weeks old. Since I will have 10 this time, I'll probably adjust the pad so the towel drapes across the back but chicks can still get out from the back or the front.

20210127_102833.jpg

I have 2 mama heating pads that I will set up for 34 chicks. The heating pads are 12x24 each. I'll have them set up relatively close to one another.
Someone I personally know tried 2 MHP "caves" in one brooder space. All the chicks tried to cram into a single cave. You might want to butt them up against each other - side to side, you want a LONG and not a deep "cave".

Someone I personally know tried 2 MHP "caves" in one brooder space. All the chicks tried to cram into a single cave. You might want to butt them up against each other - side to side, you want a LONG and not a deep "cave".
Ditto Dat!

Oh man, thanks for sharing and that's a GREAT idea to just make it one long unit!
....and go flat instead of 'cave' .
Two 12x24's set end to end should do the trick, access all around.

Back
Top Bottom