Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

This one (from tractor supply) might tempt me. It is only 12 x 12, but that seems about right for 6 or fewer chicks.
Screenshot_20230208_114140_Chrome.jpg

Well here I am on my favorite thread. It's my go to every spring when I'm adding new chicks! I like to see what people have created!! That said are people switching to Heating plates, away from MHP? It's hard for me to imagine as my MHP has been so faithful for many years! BUT even in this thread back in 2018 Blooie cautioned me about using my old Sunbeam forever. Indeed she is now quite the antique! So I've got 2 other pads from last years attempt to get a new one but I did go back to her eventually when none of them performed like her. (Okay I see me calling a heating pad a "her," but it's working for me.) So question: What plate do you recommend? Why am I so nervous about trying a plate? I've been on Amazon for way too long and feel like noting is just right. Any recommendations for a plate for my outdoor brooder room inside insulated coop..... ? OR do you prefer pad to plate still? My plan is to have BOTH so that I'm not left in a lurch if I try a plate and I don't like it. Nothing seems perfect yet so any help is appreciated!!
I use this one.
RentACoop (10" x 10") Chick Brooder Heating Plate - Warms Up to 15 Chicks - 15 Watts https://a.co/d/iVaSsx1

I use it in a brooder outside in the main coop.

That looks like a pretty good deal.
I really like that I can set it at a slant so the chicks can decide how much they want to be up close to it or if they are happy to be a bit further away. I set the back almost touching the bedding and the front maybe 4" or more up.
I also put a cardboard tray on the top (poke holes for the top of the legs to go through the cardboard) - the cardboard tray is the #1 favorite spot as soon as they are able to get up there!
Also for the first couple of days I drape a towel over it so it becomes a bit more cave like (just like the MHP) but after a day or so they are running around so much and have dug fortifications in the bedding so I take the towel away so they can run in and out from 3 sides.
I am not massively experienced in raising chicks so please feel free to ignore everything I say - but I have been delighted with it.

I really like that I can set it at a slant so the chicks can decide how much they want to be up close to it or if they are happy to be a bit further away. I set the back almost touching the bedding and the front maybe 4" or more up.
I also put a cardboard tray on the top (poke holes for the top of the legs to go through the cardboard) - the cardboard tray is the #1 favorite spot as soon as they are able to get up there!
Also for the first couple of days I drape a towel over it so it becomes a bit more cave like (just like the MHP) but after a day or so they are running around so much and have dug fortifications in the bedding so I take the towel away so they can run in and out from 3 sides.
I am not massively experienced in raising chicks so please feel free to ignore everything I say - but I have been delighted with it.
Awesome thank you so much! This one has been in my cart! I'm gonna give it a try (with my dear ole MHP as backup.)

What sort of temps are you up against??
You mean outside? I am in Northern NJ so it gets really cold. Last frost date is in May and I have used it outside as early as mid-February.
I am pretty sure it has gone down to below freezing with them outside - but I haven’t used it in temperatures below about 20F. We get them but usually not after February.
Also, I usually keep them inside for about 10 days - partly for the Mareks vaccine to become effective, and partly because I love having them close when they are so cute and tiny.
After about 10 days they need to go outside - they have more room out there and can fly and have fun.

You mean outside? I am in Northern NJ so it gets really cold. Last frost date is in May and I have used it outside as early as mid-February.
I am pretty sure it has gone down to below freezing with them outside - but I haven’t used it in temperatures below about 20F. We get them but usually not after February.
Also, I usually keep them inside for about 10 days - partly for the Mareks vaccine to become effective, and partly because I love having them close when they are so cute and tiny.
After about 10 days they need to go outside - they have more room out there and can fly and have fun.
Good to know, thanks!! Yes I meant outside as I might see temps around 20 as well. I usually keep them close in the garage for the first few days but not this year as I have a jumbo breed Puppy who is not chicken trained yet so they're going straight out to the coop brooder room. It's a happy place for them, just more stressful for me to not see them 24/7.

Good to know, thanks!! Yes I meant outside as I might see temps around 20 as well. I usually keep them close in the garage for the first few days but not this year as I have a jumbo breed Puppy who is not chicken trained yet so they're going straight out to the coop brooder room. It's a happy place for them, just more stressful for me to not see them 24/7.
I confess I keep them in my bathroom for 10 days. I just love having them close fo a little while.

Back
Top Bottom