Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Thanks, all! Yes I mean F for temperature. I'll have to measure how cold it gets in the garage. I know it reached 32F when it was 5F and windy outside 2 months ago. Garage is cooler area due to shadows and so forth. I have some homework set out for me! Thanks again!

Hi all, I have been reading through the posts on this thread and others a few hrs and just don't have time for any more today lol. So thought I should just ask straight up regarding my specific scenario instead to get advice from the experts ;).

I have 12 chicks about a week old. They are currently inside a room (on average 60-65 degrees). I use a 12x12 heating plate (from Rent-a-Coop on Amazon; looks like a table). This was recommended to me so I bit the bullet and bought it so I wouldn't have to deal with a lamp. Funny I had thought of using a normal heating pad too but wasn't sure how I'd go about it...plus didn't know about BYC at the time. ANYWAY.

We need to move chicks into larger brooder but it won't fit in the room and I don't want it stinking up main living areas so they're heading to the garage soon in a huge produce box (will insulate base from cold floor). Can't go out to coop because I don't have power out there yet- working on it. Temps outside still hit the 20s here at night from time to time so needless to say the garage will be a lot colder than the house.

Would this plate even work out there? And up to what age for 12 chicks to fit? As a newbie I find they were really misleading with toting 20 chicks as description implies - I wanted one and done for the heat source the whole 8 weeks. Sigh.

What should I get for them (and size, for one-and-done, try #2?)? Need to make the move soon. How long do you see my current heat source lasting, if it would even work in the garage? Thanks so much. Chicks doing great so far.
They will need the heat source less and less as they grow, so the 12x12 may juuust work for you. If you need to supplement it, you could make a heating pad set up for a lot cheaper than a 2nd heating plate - sunbeam has some models without the auto shut off feature, and there are tons of tutorials on here. One is 9x9 and one is 12x24 - I would probably spring for the 12x24 if youhave space and think the chicken math will get you 🤣😉

I think the main thing to avoid is shocking them with a huge temperature difference, so I would try to move them to the garage when the weather is a bit on the warmer side so it isn’t too much chillier out there. And for sure insulate the floor. If you keep them on the shared wall with your house, that will probably keep them slightly warmer as well.

They will need the heat source less and less as they grow, so the 12x12 may juuust work for you. If you need to supplement it, you could make a heating pad set up for a lot cheaper than a 2nd heating plate - sunbeam has some models without the auto shut off feature, and there are tons of tutorials on here. One is 9x9 and one is 12x24 - I would probably spring for the 12x24 if youhave space and think the chicken math will get you 🤣😉

I think the main thing to avoid is shocking them with a huge temperature difference, so I would try to move them to the garage when the weather is a bit on the warmer side so it isn’t too much chillier out there. And for sure insulate the floor. If you keep them on the shared wall with your house, that will probably keep them slightly warmer as well.
Yes I don't want to shock them. Unfortunately the need for more space coincides with a week of much colder weather! Sigh. There is no way my new brooder will fit through the door to get it into the house. It is that big. And I was told the current heat source won't work below 50 which my garage is so I'll be looking for a heating pad - the larger one. We could still have a number of cold evenings here over the next 7 weeks!

Yes I don't want to shock them. Unfortunately the need for more space coincides with a week of much colder weather! Sigh. There is no way my new brooder will fit through the door to get it into the house. It is that big. And I was told the current heat source won't work below 50 which my garage is so I'll be looking for a heating pad - the larger one. We could still have a number of cold evenings here over the next 7 weeks!
If you move them “early,” they would have time to adjust. And if needed, you could shift them back indoors to sleep on extra cold nights - but if you have a sufficient heat source, you shouldn’t need to. People on here have used heating pad set ups (usually making an insulated sort of cave) outdoors in 20F.

Thanks so much for your thoughts. Blooie made the good point that the wires in the pad get brittle and become fire hazard. Given this fact, I know that I've pushed my good ole Sunbeam well beyond what is considered safe.... As for cost that is what I'm finding is most frustrating. When I find a plate that says it's get's plenty hot (lack of reviews that say it's not hot enough for outdoors, only indoors,) then it's not only expensive, it's huge. I only add 4-5 chicks at a time, even given my creative chicken math skills, I never want my flock to be more than 20 total so this works. So yeah it's been difficult. I don't mind spending around $50, but I really don't want to spend $100, that seems so not necessary. I just want to try something small but mighty. Does it even exist?
We bough a K & H 9 x 12 thermo-peep heated pad on amazon prime for $24.95. Our 4 2 wk old chicks are standing on it now, but we used it on its side, and sitting on a cookie cooler. Did have to use a very well se ured heat lamp for 10 days. Best of luck!

I just use a zipper pillow case.

Also that's probably to tall, their backs need to touch. Might be able to build up bedding and sink in
I didn’t realize their backs need to touch it. Is this the reason for the pillow case around the whole thing, so they’re not up against the wire?

I have a similar set up and the heat only got to 90 degrees. It should be between 95-100 for the first week, correct?

A friend of mine puts a heating pad under their feet as well to make it warmer. Any advice?

It started out at 96, then dropped to 90 and stayed there until I turned it off. I also got a sunbeam heating pad.

Attachments

• 42A01221-5068-44F2-947B-1ACF304D7423.jpeg
    42A01221-5068-44F2-947B-1ACF304D7423.jpeg
    458.2 KB · Views: 5
I didn’t realize their backs need to touch it. Is this the reason for the pillow case around the whole thing, so they’re not up against the wire?

I have a similar set up and the heat only got to 90 degrees. It should be between 95-100 for the first week, correct?

A friend of mine puts a heating pad under their feet as well to make it warmer. Any advice?
I use the pillow case so they don't get between the pad and wire. Several people had suicide by getting stuck. Zipped up pillow case leaves no room to wiggle in.
They get the warmth from contact, like a broody hen. So temp is lower than a light bulb heating the area. There's a post way back with the temperature. It was same as yours..

No! I would not put a heating pad under them, as well. That leaves them with the option of being too hot in the cave, or too cold out of it. Just touching their backs to the MHP is enough. Tell your friend that The whole point of this is too be more like a natural mama hen. Mama hen doesn't have a hot pad under her.

Back
Top Bottom