Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

No! I would not put a heating pad under them, as well. That leaves them with the option of being too hot in the cave, or too cold out of it. Just touching their backs to the MHP is enough. Tell your friend that The whole point of this is too be more like a natural mama hen. Mama hen doesn't have a hot pad under her.
She had it work with several batches of chicks 🤷🏻‍♀️

I use the pillow case so they don't get between the pad and wire. Several people had suicide by getting stuck. Zipped up pillow case leaves no room to wiggle in.
They get the warmth from contact, like a broody hen. So temp is lower than a light bulb heating the area. There's a post way back with the temperature. It was same as yours..
Ok. If my thermometer is reading 90 is that ok?

I have a similar set up and the heat only got to 90 degrees. It should be between 95-100 for the first week, correct?
Those numbers are for using a heat lamp and measured on the floor under the lamp.
Heat plates/pads do not work the same way.

A friend of mine puts a heating pad under their feet as well to make it warmer. Any advice?
Not a good idea, IMO.

Ok. If my thermometer is reading 90 is that ok?
The chicks will let you know if they aren't happy. They will go in and warm up and then run out and back in.
After they warm up from transport, and are cheeping normal, I usually have to put it at medium.
If they stay under crying they are cold and if thier backs touch it needs to be turned up
If they stay out crying they're hot and it may need to be turned down.
Initially you may need to put them under it and hold your hand so they stay in and figure out it's warmer in there. Once a couple figure it out the rest will follow.

The chicks will let you know if they aren't happy. They will go in and warm up and then run out and back in.
After they warm up from transport, and are cheeping normal, I usually have to put it at medium.
If they stay under crying they are cold and if thier backs touch it needs to be turned up
Initially you may need to put them under it and hold your hand so they stay in and figure out it's warmer in there. Once a couple figure it out the rest will follow.
Ok, this is helpful. Thank you!!! I tried to read back through but I didn’t read all 1,000 pages 😂

This! All of this. I had to herd mine under at first, but once they got it they were happy. And I could tell because they switched from “car alarm” cheeps to happy little quiet twitter-chirps. And they would pop in and out.

Mine was “quite warm, but in a good way” to the touch. The air underneath wasn’t super warm, but the pad/wire was. My thermometer readings were all over the place, so I just went with how it felt and how they seemed to feel.

This! All of this. I had to herd mine under at first, but once they got it they were happy. And I could tell because they switched from “car alarm” cheeps to happy little quiet twitter-chirps. And they would pop in and out.

Mine was “quite warm, but in a good way” to the touch. The air underneath wasn’t super warm, but the pad/wire was. My thermometer readings were all over the place, so I just went with how it felt and how they seemed to feel.
Ok, so you had some wire exposed too but it was ok?

I’m so nervous! Lol

I've been using the MHP for about 2 years now, I think. I hatched out 15 chicks this weekend. I intended to use a regular heat lamp simply because I was suspicious that my heating pad wasn't getting as warm as it should but both bulbs I had wouldn't work. So I reverted to the MHP and kept checking it all evening. All 15 chicks were very quiet and snug under the MHP.

Today is Day 2... And half the chicks have opted to sleep on TOP of the MHP instead of under it. Anyone ever had that happen?

I'm wondering if maybe it was too crowded underneath? Or maybe I just have it set too low?

I've had chicks roost on top every time I've used a MHP but never on Day 2! They are usually much older before they graduate to the roof....

Back
Top Bottom