Mama hen hatched 5 chicks.

Pics

Lovesumchicks

Songster
Apr 22, 2020
Okay so I have a game hen, who hatched 5 chicks on the 21st.
Well everyone has been thriving doing really great.
Just this morning I checked on them and this little chick keeps holding its head up and acting strange.
Is this an injury or a neurological development?
If it's an injury do you think I should cull it? I need advice as I want to do what's best.below is a link to the video

That may be my issue, but what if I am not able to seperate the chick and reintroduce. Mama will more than likely not accept her chick back and kill it.
Again, not an expert here, but I'd separate it just long enough to syringe feed it some vitamin water (like NutriDench or something similar that has added Vit E and selenium). You'd be in for a long headache keeping in totally separate. If there was no improvement after a day or two, I'd adjust my plans from there.

Again, not an expert here, but I'd separate it just long enough to syringe feed it some vitamin water (like NutriDench or something similar that has added Vit E and selenium). You'd be in for a long headache keeping in totally separate. If there was no improvement after a day or two, I'd adjust my plans from there.
Thank you, you are right I will now have to deal with mama trying to kill me to get the chick lol

Okay so this morning I checked on mama and chicks the chick got worse so I just grabbed the chick and mama got me good but I managed to out run mama to my front door. Lol
I have the chick wrapped up in a towel. Gave some nutri drench mixed in water.
Assuming this chick hasn't ate or drank in day's will it survive with just fluids?

Right now

Attachments

• 20201203_091350.jpg
    20201203_091350.jpg
    170.3 KB · Views: 19
Okay so this morning I checked on mama and chicks the chick got worse so I just grabbed the chick and mama got me good but I managed to out run mama to my front door. Lol
I have the chick wrapped up in a towel. Gave some nutri drench mixed in water.
Assuming this chick hasn't ate or drank in day's will it survive with just fluids?
Is this the first time you’ve grabbed the chick? It’s 100% wry neck. Giving fluids with vitamins needs to be the first step. If it eats chick feed that’s fine. You could try scrambled egg, too. But you need to give vitamins with vitamins E and selenium ASAP. At this point even just a vitamin E capsule syringe fed is better than nothing.

Is this the first time you’ve grabbed the chick? It’s 100% wry neck. Giving fluids with vitamins needs to be the first step. If it eats chick feed that’s fine. You could try scrambled egg, too. But you need to give vitamins with vitamins E and selenium ASAP. At this point even just a vitamin E capsule syringe fed is better than nothing.
I gave nutri drench it has vitamin E, I do have a capsule about how much of that should I give to it could I possibly over dose the chick?

Back
Top Bottom