Mama left with her brood...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sequin, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Just wondering, but don't broody hens set for a few days after her chicks have hatched? My Welsummer had 11 eggs under her, 5 hatched, and as soon as they were up and about she got off her nest and left the remaining eggs. They cooled for about 24 hours... think they're dead? I tucked them under my other broody hen, just in case there was a chance they might be able to make it. Any ideas on what the odds might be?

2. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    Hard to guess.I have read some have put them in the incubater and had sucsess......but sometimes the hen knows the eggs will not hatch.............
    Let us know what happens.I think you have a chance....[​IMG]

3. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    I incubate them, ESPECIALLY if I know that other hens have laid "on" the setting hen while she was broody -- there are some that may only be a few days along.

4. crazy chook

crazy chook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2010
    Langwarrin, Victoria
    Yes, There is a Big chance that they will hatch.

My silkie was sitting on her eggs and my frizzle was jumping in with her every day adding an egg to her clutch. By the time I realized what was happening she had 19 eggs.

OMG you should have seen her trying to cover them all! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Once she had hatched out 8 or so I moved the other eggs into the incubator. She was happily out and about with her babies and every night I put another one that hatched under her.

I stopped at 12 and kept the rest separate in the brooder. She is a great mum but i think 12 babies was enough for her.

GOODLUCK!!!! [​IMG]

5. Jarsheart

Jarsheart Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2010
    I am going through this right now myself. I discovered one of my silkie hens sitting on 14 eggs (husband was tending to them when I was not available and did not collect the eggs). I candled all the eggs, found five that were fertile, marked them and pitched the rest. Other hens were laying eggs in her nest, and I removed them on a regular basis. One week ago, two of the eggs hatched. I waited one day (mother hen was happily running around the coop, NOT sitting on the 3 remaining eggs ) then put the eggs in my incubator where I have other eggs incubating for a friend. The eggs from the nest still have not hatched !! And today is day 21 from the day I discovered them, they must have been at least five day embryos when I found them. So I am very sad and freaked out. I had the same hen abandon her nest with 4 fertile eggs back in May, I put them in the incubator and all hatched. So it is hard to say, give it a try, at least you will know you gave it your best. Good luck, I hope it works out with you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by