Mama problems

MamaLynn23

Songster
Jan 9, 2021
I have a hen that went broody and ended up hatching three chicks and one duckling. The duckling unfortunately didn't make it, but the chicks were thriving very well. Frances, the mama hen was also very good, very attentive for the first several weeks. She kept them in the coop for a while but slowly began to take them farther a field. I noticed about 4-5 days ago that she has started to leave them behind. She doesn't make sure they are all roosting with her at night and rushes out of the coop first thing in the morning. The poor things call for her and try looking for her but for the most part stay in the coop now. I have three other chicks I got from TS who are only a week younger and they are all kinda hanging out together now. What happened? I didn't think mama hens stopped mothering so soon. They were hatched around July 27-28.

Attachments

• Frances N chicks.jpg
    Frances N chicks.jpg
    715.3 KB · Views: 12
I have a hen that went broody and ended up hatching three chicks and one duckling. The duckling unfortunately didn't make it, but the chicks were thriving very well. Frances, the mama hen was also very good, very attentive for the first several weeks. She kept them in the coop for a while but slowly began to take them farther a field. I noticed about 4-5 days ago that she has started to leave them behind. She doesn't make sure they are all roosting with her at night and rushes out of the coop first thing in the morning. The poor things call for her and try looking for her but for the most part stay in the coop now. I have three other chicks I got from TS who are only a week younger and they are all kinda hanging out together now. What happened? I didn't think mama hens stopped mothering so soon. They were hatched around July 27-28.
She feels they are old enough to make their own way. Sometimes the mother hen weens them young. Sometimes she allows them to stay with her a very long time.

Back
Top Bottom