Mammoth Sunflower Seed

Dirtyhip

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
The Cascades
I assume chickens can eat these seeds. I read that they like black oil sunflower seed and read that some of you feed them these seeds.

About what age can you feed them sunflower seeds? I am sure that they won't eat these seeds until they are big birds.

My garden is a cornacopia of 12 foot tall Mammoths, but I should have a new crop by next year. We are still on track to get our pullets in Spring 2012.

Thanks, friends.

Mouse

I'm sorry I can't say - the birds always eat any I plant before they mature. Do you do anything to keep the birds off? Though if I did have them I would feed them any chicken which could swallow them easily. Good luck!

Quote:
Good for you. The wee folk need feeding two.
lol.png

It's a good 'treat' but shouldn't be used as feed. Black oil sunflower seed has over 25% fat content so a handful a day as treats is plenty. Save your seeds for winter when they can use the added fat to keep warm. We planted sunflower this year too just for the real cold days that are coming.

There is a difference between Black Oil Sunflower Seed (BOSS) and Striped Sunflower Seed.
Other than size and there look the biggest difference is that Striped have a higher Protein but less oil (Fat) where as Boss has a somewhat lower Protein content and they are much higher in oil.

Striped --
Protein – 23 Fat – 26, Fiber – 20
Boss --
Protein – 16 Fat – 43 Fiber – 13

Chris

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom