Management questions;

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
First of all, thank you very much for your input and for mentorship!

Here are a couple questions I have;

Do your local feed mills in your areas shut down in winter? (Very curious about this. I had wondered if they have service interrupts for particularly snowy areas, etc. And also how this works for you?) Do you also have to do things differently with them in winter months, or change things up?)

Does it worry you, or should you be worried if one of your ducks keeps going off by itself and isn't hanging out with the main flock? Is this a sign of injury, or something? (Right now the one in question is a duckling, and keeps hanging out by itself away from the other ducklings. I'm wondering why its almost always like this...though to be fair it might not be the same duckling every time. But even if that's true, I should ask this.)

I'm wondering also how to curb my chickens and ducks from getting the BLM rioting virus. When I go to open their pens in the morning, the chickens are avoiding their own feed to go do riots and looting in the duck pen. And the ducks were doing the same to neglect their own feed, under the guise of thinking that both groups would end up getting more if they 'looted' the other pens food first before eating their own food. The irony is that both groups ended up with less than they thought they would. The 'riots' and looting have continued in DuckTown for about a week now. It seems that poultry infected with this illness are obsessed with sneaky behavior, and stealing food from their brethren, to the neglect of their own food.

A side question;

I was curious is it possible to feed a flock entirely by lake side insect grazing?

I doubt this would happen, but who knows, if people keep up all the societal mayhem and social warfare alternatives to grain feeds may be needed or wanted. I had wondered if it was possible to say take your ducks to a small lake or something, and have them find enough food in a day to sustain themselves... though it might be hard to get them to come back maybe at the end of the day. What do you think about this?

(One reason I thought about this is also that one day a few years ago we had a social gathering at Utah lake, that lasted late into the night. And surprisingly after it was close to sun down there were literally gnats, mosquitoes, and other pests everywhere and flying all over the place. It was hell to even be outside of a vehicle or tent. So maybe there is a lot of insects near these places?) (And do geese eat insects? I thought they only go after grass mostly...but who knows.)

Back
Top Bottom