Managing an Urban Rooster?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DawnM, Nov 20, 2010.

1. DawnM

DawnM Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Tacoma, Wa
    A few weeks back the neighbors dog got into our yard and killed one of our chickens. It wasn't a huge issue like it is with most neighbors because both us and the neighbors thought the yard was secure. The dog, an Australian Cattle Dog, figured out a weakness in the fence. The wire that runs the bottom of the chainlink broke and no one knew about it until the dog figured it out. It would have been worse but our loudmouth Buff Orpington took it upon herself to let the whole neighborhood know they were under attack. Anyway, we got two replacement chicks at about 6 weeks that we were hoping were both pullets. One turned out to be a rooster. They are EE x Cochin and beautiful birds.

[​IMG]

My 9 year old daughter is getting an incubator for Christmas so she could raise chicks and make a few bucks selling them. We were planning on buying hatching eggs from locals but if we had a rooster she wouldn't even have to pay for those. The problem is we live in a residential neighborhood. It's kind of a lawless area. We don't have cops or anything that really care about us here. The joke is calling 911 means the cops will be there in 9 hours and 11 minutes. Because of this, the neighbors are really close and protective of each other. The neighbors even let us know if they see opossums or racoons in the neighborhood so we know for the chickens. I don't want to make any of the neighbors upset about having a loud rooster in the neighborhood. We do have a room in our house that is a converted garage that we keep our big fish tanks in as well as outdoor equipment like bikes, sleds, etc. If we built him a pen in this room and let him out 8 to 10 hours a day with the girls would he be happy? If we kept him and his sister together in this situation for company for him would that work? Right now we have two seperate flocks in the same yard, the two of them and our 5 hens. They ignore each other but haven't shown any signs of integrating either. We tried to get rid of him earlier but no one wanted him. I'm excited about learning how to process chickens but he is so pretty my daughter fell in love with him. He has the EE muffs with the feathery Cochin legs and she loves it. First act of aggression to her though and he is dinner. I spent way to much time with aggressive dogs in my doggy professional days to be intimited by roosters or tolerate any aggressive behavior.

2. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    It is going to depend on your neighbors. Sounds like everyone is getting along, hate to rock that boat. But if your coop in not right next to your neighbor's windows, maybe they will like a roo crowing in the morning. You might just have to wait and see, and be sensitive to your neighbors views on this.

Roosters are chancey, and I have heard enough good stories here, that I kept one today. But there are lots of other stories too. I guess time will tell if you got a keeper or one for soup.

I don't think that keeping him separate from the girls will be a solution. I would just keep them as one flock. MrsK

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by