Managing dust

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by littlechick1005, Jan 28, 2013.

1. littlechick1005

littlechick1005 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Maine
    I cant seem to keep up with the dust my hens are creating in the barn. Its causing my other animals to cough...Its mid winter I have no other place to keep them asside from the barn, suggestions on dust managment. Theyre stall is kept tidy and clean...perhaps a barn vacc may help? Suggestions please :)

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    All birds are extremely dusty, especially when they're molting.
    Sorry I'm not much help with a solution. [​IMG]

3. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    This might help some. If you have electricity in the barn I would put an exhaust fan in a window if there is one nearby the chickens hang out or cut a hole in the wall and install a bathroom exhaust fan. While it won't take care of all of it but will control some.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    What are you using for bedding? My coop is shavings and I've not had that issue.

5. littlechick1005

littlechick1005 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2012
    Maine
    I use pine shavings, same bales I have for my horses and goats...when I first lay down the fresh shavings its great, nice and clean, it seems like dust is overkill within 3 days, theres even a thick coating on their heat lamp within that time span too...im hoping the downsize will help, as of today im down from 6 to 3. I clean their stall once a week, completely sweep the entire thing out and lay down half a bale of fresh shavings...I add horse hay in the corner to help keep them warm in the cold weather, perhaps that adds to the dust? We have no ventilation, I dont know as though we can add an exhaust fan though thats a great idea, its an old antique barn, mum doesnt like altering the perminent walls...wonder if there something else along those lines I could try internally? Something that sucks up dust in the stall? I have 2 geese at the other end of the barn, they are also dusty but no where near what my hens create for dust...its terrible.

6. NosiphoChooks

NosiphoChooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Maybe they are sratching up the barn floor for a dust bath, perhaps if you get a baby bath or something and fill it with sand and DE then this will be less dusty and they will choose to bathe in this instead?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by