Managing flock turn over

Day 2
i checked last night and both of the Austrolops are in full on nest mode And did not go roost. I will mark the eggs they are sitting in with a sharpie so we don’t have any unpleasant surprises :)

Day 4 and they have decided to
Move around a bit.
BB856642-5EA6-4046-98F3-1692331FCB65.jpeg

And the chickens

uugh and the egg rotator died. :-(

So back to Coastal and got another unit. Hopefully this one will work better.

On the chicken front, our psychotic Austrolops are still trying to sit on the nest. First one is in chicken jail, so hopefully she snaps out of it soon. We have another two that will be following soon.

Filthy chicken has been bathed and is looking decent again (before and after) and now in chicken jail.

CD8799D9-3E3B-4241-8C8B-CFDAAD9050A0_1_105_c.jpeg

662E0681-C6C5-4F8F-9BEE-2736965EADB8_1_105_c.jpeg

EC020AF5-DEE0-4E8F-B838-D25DE76B2911_1_105_c.jpeg

Why are you breaking your broody hens? You’re going to have to raise those chicks yourself!! 😱

I am waaay to lazy to do that, I usually more the incubator eggs over to my broodies on day 18 and the hens take over from there. Saves me a lot of work, that’s for sure! But it’s understandable if your hens have been sitting for a long time already. Hopefully they will be easy to de-broodify.
hmm that’s an interesting idea if we have any problem children still on day 18 I will go ahead and give them a few eggs to hatch to experiment.

With regards to raising chicks these guys were pretty low maintenance in that we had a heat lamp, water feeder and food and they figured everything out themselves.

Back
Top Bottom