Managing MG in chicken

Lnzsmith

Songster
5 Years
Nov 14, 2017
Central Missouri
I'm pretty sure now our Lav Orp pullet has MG. The eye condition I have described in earlier posts is worsening, with the foamy bubbles in the corners. She is still eating and drinking well. We tried Tylan but I am uncomfortable with the oral dosing so we were trying beak drench and I just don't think she was getting enough. I am going to try again. I don't know, if we do the oral dose and I asphyxiate her that will be sad but if she doesn't get better that will be sad too...

We also noticed blood on her feathers today. Would that be blood from a cough? Then I guess it could be ILT right? Does she have to be culled if that's the case? This is all so sad. She's such a chirpy little girl...but she's def sick.

Does anyone know where to get Tylan soluble without a vet's prescription? We have Tylan 50 but the soluble would work so much better and she drinks so well.

If you're certain that it's MG, Denagard would be your best choice rather than Tylan. However if it's ILT, and it's possible she could have both diseases and not just one or the other, I'd cull before she infects the rest of the flock. Denagard will not treat ILT.
For Tylan soluble powder, you'll need a prescription from a vet.
Here's where you can get Denagard. Be sure to read the Reviews:
https://www.qcsupply.com/denagard-liquid-concentrate-novartis.html

She's been isolated from the other chickens for two weeks now. In fact never really around them since we acquired her, just always seemed too small and frail. She lives in a dog crate in our basement. Thank you for the Denagard info.

Most of those respiratory diseases—ILT, MG, coryza and others can make them carriers for life, and your other flock members may also become sick or carriers if you introduce her. So if your other chickens are not affected with this, I would not add her to the flock.

She came from the same farm as the Australorp we got with her, I assume they both are carriers. Meaning we unknowingly have exposed our lovely Wyandotte, since she and the Australorp are best buds now. I just don't know. Can a chicken recover from MG and live a normal life?

She came from the same farm as the Australorp we got with her, I assume they both are carriers. Meaning we unknowingly have exposed our lovely Wyandotte, since she and the Australorp are best buds now. I just don't know. Can a chicken recover from MG and live a normal life?
We tried Tylan but I am uncomfortable with the oral dosing so we were trying beak drench and I just don't think she was getting enough.
What is beak drenching?
How much Tylan50 did you give and for how long?
Is she improving at all?

Here is a good way to give medications orally. Small syringes like 1cc work very well. I have not seen that size at the feed store, but you can order them online. You can also ask your local pharmacy if they will give you a couple of infant syringes.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/

If she has been with the others, then they have been exposed. Chickens can recover from MG, but will remain carriers for life. "Normal life" is subjective - but yes, they can live fairly normal. Respiratory diseases can have an impact on egg production and quality, certain reproductive disorders like Salpingitis are also linked to Mycoplasma. Birds can also become symptomatic during times of stress (molting, changes in environment/pecking order, etc.).
A lot depends on your goals.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

We put drops on her beak and she opens her mouth and takes it in. We were giving .3 ml (but filled the syringe with more like .5 since she doesn't get it all). We did it for 5 days, no change, so we're trying it again. I am just worried we will asphyxiate her with the oral dosing method. Obviously I am not happy about giving lots of antibiotics. I am considering Denagard, which sounds like it can be put in their water and also used as a preventive once a month? Also vitamins, Nutridrench. I haven't tried those.

Her only symptom remains her eyes, which are foamy and red etc. No snot or sneezing ever. She eats and drinks well. She grooms and when we take her out on warm sunny days tries to dust bathe etc. She's pretty silly, she definitely doesn't quite know how to be a big chicken.

I don't mind having a closed flock, we just have this little backyard flock and though the eggs are nice, they are pets and help us in the garden. But I do kind of mind having a chicken living permanently in the laundry room, so we'd really like to get her over her symptoms. I know she is lonely too.

We put drops on her beak and she opens her mouth and takes it in. We were giving .3 ml (but filled the syringe with more like .5 since she doesn't get it all). We did it for 5 days, no change, so we're trying it again. I am just worried we will asphyxiate her with the oral dosing method. Obviously I am not happy about giving lots of antibiotics. I am considering Denagard, which sounds like it can be put in their water and also used as a preventive once a month? Also vitamins, Nutridrench. I haven't tried those.

Her only symptom remains her eyes, which are foamy and red etc. No snot or sneezing ever. She eats and drinks well. She grooms and when we take her out on warm sunny days tries to dust bathe etc. She's pretty silly, she definitely doesn't quite know how to be a big chicken.

I don't mind having a closed flock, we just have this little backyard flock and though the eggs are nice, they are pets and help us in the garden. But I do kind of mind having a chicken living permanently in the laundry room, so we'd really like to get her over her symptoms. I know she is lonely too.
Are you flushing and cleaning the eyes at least once a day then applying some type of ophthalmic ointment like Terramycin in the eyes?

You can try the Tylan50 again, but if whatever she has did not respond, then likely it won't this time either.
IF she has Mycoplasma, then Denagard is supposed to be an effective treatment and yes, most people do use it in water once a month as prevention or if their birds become symptomatic.

If she doesn't respond to either of these, then getting a swab tested would be needed to find out the cause. While respiratory diseases are the most common causes of eye infections she may have something else going on.

Back
Top Bottom