Mandarin and Wood Duck Crosses

Quote:

yes I fully agree.

I've heard some argue that it's possible, BUT have yet to ever see a hard proof evidence of any mandarin hybrid to any other species of duck. I have had mandarins in with virtually every species available in the US for years when I kept them all, never once had a successful cross. Yes they are the only two in their same genus, the wood ducks and mandarins that is. Wood ducks can and do hybridize with a lot of species, but as said, never once seen or heard of a mandarin being able to do it. Chromosome or not, it just doesnt happen.
Those 2 species are the two most commonly kept around the world and all are in the same pens seems like. So if it were possible, we'd have tons of them by now...that's just my thoughts on the subject. They've been given every possible chance to make it happen with no results

so you'll be just fine with them
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1026&context=johnsgard

Hi just wanted to know how I would stop my mandarin for pairing with my Carolina duck as my male mandarin is with the female Carolina an my female Carolina is with my male mandarin or am I too late to do anything about it

Quote:

Thanks for your reply. I was worried I wouldn't be able to have both. They are in the same genus aren't they? I am not good with genetics so this is a learning experience for me. Kramer
Mandarin ducks have a extra chromosome, I have two pr of mandarins, and two pair of wood ducks in the same pen, with no problems.
I and wondering the same thing as I have wood ducks and Mandarin ducks

I am hoping but they can stay together and not crossbreed but I have not gotten an answer from anyone that has both

Mandarin ducks have a extra chromosome, I have two pr of mandarins, and two pair of wood ducks in the same pen, with no problems.
Can you help me guys I have one wood duck hen but I can’t find a drake anywhere but I can find a mandarin drake will they cross plz I need to know

Back
Top Bottom