Mandarin and Wood Duck Crosses

Game Bird Guy

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 22, 2011
Victoria
Hi. I am looking into getting Mandarin and Wood Ducks. I plan on keeping them in an aviary with IB peafowl, Bahama Pintail Ducks and some pheasants. Will the Mandarins and Woodies cross? I would like to only have to build the one aviary and keep them together, but don't want crosses. Thanks.

Mandarin ducks have a extra chromosome, I have two pr of mandarins, and two pair of wood ducks in the same pen, with no problems.

Quote:
yes I fully agree.

I've heard some argue that it's possible, BUT have yet to ever see a hard proof evidence of any mandarin hybrid to any other species of duck. I have had mandarins in with virtually every species available in the US for years when I kept them all, never once had a successful cross. Yes they are the only two in their same genus, the wood ducks and mandarins that is. Wood ducks can and do hybridize with a lot of species, but as said, never once seen or heard of a mandarin being able to do it. Chromosome or not, it just doesnt happen.
Those 2 species are the two most commonly kept around the world and all are in the same pens seems like. So if it were possible, we'd have tons of them by now...that's just my thoughts on the subject. They've been given every possible chance to make it happen with no results

so you'll be just fine with them

Quote:

yes I fully agree.

I've heard some argue that it's possible, BUT have yet to ever see a hard proof evidence of any mandarin hybrid to any other species of duck. I have had mandarins in with virtually every species available in the US for years when I kept them all, never once had a successful cross. Yes they are the only two in their same genus, the wood ducks and mandarins that is. Wood ducks can and do hybridize with a lot of species, but as said, never once seen or heard of a mandarin being able to do it. Chromosome or not, it just doesnt happen.
Those 2 species are the two most commonly kept around the world and all are in the same pens seems like. So if it were possible, we'd have tons of them by now...that's just my thoughts on the subject. They've been given every possible chance to make it happen with no results

so you'll be just fine with them
http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1026&context=johnsgard

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. I was worried I wouldn't be able to have both. They are in the same genus aren't they? I am not good with genetics so this is a learning experience for me. Kramer

Yes with the different chromosomes they will not cross meaning the eggs will not be fertile, but sometimes they will pair up with each other and nest but the eggs will not hatch. If you add pairs at different times they are usually fine.

Quote:
I would like to know the reference for the extra chromosome. If it's Yamashina (1952), that's not what he shows.

Clint

I had a couple ducks hatch this year, supposedly wood ducks that never have fully developed into drakes or hens... I sole them to two different people thinking they would mature, but as far as I know they still haven't. And they are suspecting they might be crosses and all I have are wood ducks and mandarins... I'll try and post some pics, they may just be with older more aggressive birds and that keeps them from fully developing? I'll check more into it and keep ya'll updated

Travis

Quote:
Two extra chromosomes. If they had one more they would have an odd number and be infertile. There is only one Eukaryotic organism with an odd number of chromosomes is King's Lomatia. Their is only one specimen in the wild which is a clonal group made of 300 to 400 connected bushes. They are all genetically identical and they only way they can increase their numbers is when broken branches take root and survive. It is truly fascinating. The one colony is one of the oldest organisms on earth.

Back
Top Bottom