Mandarin Duck eggs in the incubator... My first time trying this.

Well you are going to be changing their brooder bedding a lot because the like to make a mess with the water....

Hey FarmInProgress!
Exactly right about the bedding changes. So the convenience of retail pine shavings seems, well, convenient. And, certainly Wood Ducks (Mandarins) will not eat wood shavings, right?

They might try too.... I would put some newspaper on the bottom of your brooder just and than put a little bit of shavings in the warmer spot so they can sleep cozily....

They might try too.... I would put some newspaper on the bottom of your brooder just and than put a little bit of shavings in the warmer spot so they can sleep cozily....

That makes sense to start. I'm assuming you mean to add shavings gradually as they figure out the feed station from the bedding...

Can you tell, I'm excited (and still nervous about the incubation process...)

Thank you for the input!!

I'll update more as I go (I'm documenting my progress in this thread).

Day 18 candling was mostly good!

I struggle to keep the incubator as low as 35% humidity, it likes to jump up after a daily misting and won't come down... My model retains moisture too well (and I live in a humid climate as well.)

According to the above chart of the air cell in the eggs, most of my 7 are very close to that mark. However, it's really hard to tell. Since my eggs were shipped, they have some saddling.

I have one that is still developing and moving, just like the others, but it's air cell is closer to day 10 than 18 (like the rest). So I may try to take the humidity a little lower for a few days...

Next candling is on Day 21 (Wednesday!)

Day 21 Candling was excellent!

All the eggs have bigger aircells, and I think I'm getting better at understanding what I'm seeing when they are lit up. All seven look a little different, but there is obvious development with the aircells growing, and lots of movement!

All the "blue" marked eggs are bigger eggs than the ones with the "red" marks. I assume one seller has bigger, better fed ducks than the other. And, the more I'm handling and getting to know these eggs, I'm questioning my original assessment of the genders. All the "blue" eggs are more round than the "red" eggs. With #5blue(F) having a little more definition than the other "blues". So, #5blue might actually be a (M)?!?!?

I've got the humidity staying between 35-40% lately (with very little water in the bottom of the 'bator). And it spikes a little when I spritz the eggs (once a day), but it settles back fairly quickly now.

My old Marine Corps buddies would be very amused to see me "chirping" to the eggs every three to four hours... LOL!

🎵 Chirp, chirp, chirp... 🎶

It's past the "lockdown" day on the calendar. But the eggs aren't ready.

I've got bigger aircells, and the duckling embryos take up the entire middle of the egg. But they haven't move down to take up the bottom yet. I've still got movement and veins, but I fear the development is too far behind. Late today is supposed to be "hatch day", and the eggs development appears closer to day 22-23 on the charts, etc. And they have appeared that way for a few days now with little to no progress (although still moving).

I'm guessing my temperature was a touch low throughout the process (despite my 3 thermometers - of which one was ice test calibrated).

I've heard that Mandarin eggs are tough to incubate. And now I'm experiencing it. And I feel terrible and hoping for a miracle...

More updates to come...

Tonight is the beginning of "hatch day", day 28, and we're still behind...

I've gotten some great advice from other sections and members here, and I've decided to raise the humidity and stop turning. Technically Lockdown. I'm misting and candling twice a day while keeping the humidity high. I've still got movement, but no noise. And I think I saw a couple of bills (but the bottoms of all the eggs still have voids with veins... the ducklings haven't filled/moved down.)

And to add to the nervousness, one of the bills with movement I saw was on the wrong end. Ugh.

I'm on a roller coaster, and I'm supposed to return to work on Saturday. So that adds to the stress of them being so late (if they pip, zip, and hatch...) I feel like I can't be away for even a minute, but Saturday I'll have no choice...

One of the seven looks like a quitter. The shadow has moved down in the shell, but all the veins have disappeared and no movement. I'll give it time (at least until it is obvious it died.)

The other 6 are in varying degrees of dropping down in the shells. A few have moved down some, and a few look the same as the last few days. All have veins and some movement.

Fingers are still crossed...

Back
Top Bottom