Mandarin duck question

This is my first season with Mandarins so I'm not sure. I do know some ducks will lay a clutch and if you pull it they will have another. I would rather have my ducks sit their own so I don't pull any eggs unless they don't sit. My stupid Wood duck won't even keep laying in one nest.

Also a duck is born with a certain amount of eggs. So if you were to push to get more eggs in some seasons then you will end up with none in later seasons.
What I believe your wood duck is doin is this . When I put up nest boxes for wild wood ducks I put up three within a reasonable distance . The ducks that migrate first seem to lay in different boxes two females will lay in three boxes and such . Some will lay one egg in a box then move on to a new box . Passers through may lay in the box also . Then when the females are going to set on the eggs they will cover it with down . So check the boxes to see if they are all setting . Most often you will find an empty box full of eggs and no female setting . This we call a dump box many different females may use it just to dump eggs . Most often they are new pairs that don't know what is going on . When the new females feel the urge to lay an egg coming on they instinctively seek out a dark tree cavity . Also in my opinion the mix up of the eggs is natures way to keep new blood flowing so they don't get inbreeding started . Often times young families of wood ducks stay together when they migrate and end up pairing off together that' s where the nest jumping comes into play it mixes the different families up . I love natures flying rainbows .❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤

Back
Top Bottom