Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Pics
"how long on average from pip to hatch for Mandies"
thanks! 7 are pipped but none zipped or out?

BoggyBottom:
I sold thousands every year

Could you post pictures of the thousands of ducks you used to have and sell????
thumbsup.gif

I'd love to see the awesome collection you must have had!
pop.gif
love.gif
pop.gif

How about we go photo for photo! I'll go first:
71544_my_duckies.jpg

DT​

I've already posted all the pics I still have here in other threads.
Lost them all in multiple moves over the years. Never got a digital camera til a few years ago so all were on film.
Was massive though, it brought the Bronx Zoo curators physically to my door step worked with them for quite a while and supplied an entire waterfowl exhibit at the zoo, had 2000+ breeding birds at the peak
the grow out pen alone was an acre.

Thanks Boggy! I think I found some on page 50 of the migratory waterfowl thread in the ducks forum (if anyone else is wondering too).
thumbsup.gif

Too bad you didn't take more photos. Must have been too busy selling thousands of ducks!
th.gif
How did you market so many birds?

DT

yep,
I tried to find them on there, couldnt remember where they were.
Those were some of my original ones from when I was oh mid teens I think, had them for a total of about 20 years or better. Had my Federal Permit at 11 or so, their mistake, they never read my birth date on the apps and sent it to me anyway. One of the Federal inspectors was checking some of my endangered birds one day and finally caught on to it when I was 17 of all things, so my dad had to finish out the years as my permit holder til I turned 18, I thought that was pretty funny.
I sold them largely threw the Gazette, A.P.W.S. and our local state poultry paper. The Bronx alone got 300-400 seems like in just one season. Had to personally build a aviary just to house them all for them for about 6 extra months while they completed their exhibit. It was a diver habitat and took them forever to build. Got to know all them up there pretty well and was even offered a African Pygmy goose breeding loan after it was all done as a way to say thanks, but declined, I wouldnt have been able to sleep at night with a at the time $5000 dollar pair of birds in my back yard. Though, I know I could have done it, shoot at the time I was one of the only southern breeders successfully keeping and breeding eiders. So pygmys would have been a walk in the park.

Sure miss them all, the mix of calls was the most relaxing sound in the world to me...now that I have finally inherited my family farm, (a seven year fight with an uncle) I fully plan to get them all back, just going to take a long time and a lot of money to get back what I once had. But I cant wait... got 132 acres now dying for waterfowl.

Last edited:
Dr. Todd, BBB... Please stay on topic!
tongue.png
We'd all love to see pics of your birds, most of us can only dream of having more than 15-20 birds, hundreds or thousands would be a sight to behold
droolin.gif
, but this is the Mandarin duck thread!

Looking forward to seeing a new thread posted soon!

I was down to my last duckling and my wife was home for the day... She saw the cat come in but didn't think about it and I believe it got ate... Crappy spring for mandarins for me, but I did happen to learn a lot that will help me in the years to come...

Travis

dont really consider myself off topic Travis. A large protion of the birds I had were mandarins in the collection I have been talking about
hu.gif

To be on topic, you dont have to constantly say the topic title in every post, as long as you are talking about waterfowl here and not chickens, I see no problem in it.

Last edited:
They're hatching! 1 just popped out and 3 more zipped overnight. 3 more are pipped and 2 are not.....so exciting! 24-48 hrs from pip to hatch I heard on my Mandarin forum. Its true!

Quote:
Congrats
clap.gif
I am so glad you stated how long it took. I was disappointed no one was answering your question. I have two small pips now, so I won't look for the till tomorrow.

Again congrats to you!
ya.gif

Back
Top Bottom