Mandarin Ducks, Laying eggs...

sounds like your busy
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
So the eggs can sit in the nesting box 2 weeks before she sets? wouldnt they be rotten sitting in the weather mine she has been laying one a week something just isnt right so I took them and put in the incubator.

No they wont be rotten. Now if you are just sticking the eggs in the incubator wihout them being "Set on" for two weeks by at least some kind of broodie your hatch rate is going to definitely be awful to none hatching. It is terrible on any wild type duck that way. What just isnt right that you pulled em? At the very least you better put them under a broody and not the incubator on day 1.

Last edited:
So I found 1 egg in the nest... if she is starting to nest, when should she begin to brood the nest, meaning how many eggs should she lay and in what time period, before she broods...

Thanks mandarin friends.
Finally my mandarins are starting to lay a little better but not every day. Auto 6 girls I get either two or three eggs a day or every other day. I wonder myself when they stop laying in the New England area. Thanks

No they wont be rotten. Now if you are just sticking the eggs in the incubator wihout them being "Set on" for two weeks by at least some kind of broodie your hatch rate is going to definitely be awful to none hatching. It is terrible on any wild type duck that way. What just isnt right that you pulled em? At the very least you better put them under a broody and not the incubator on day 1.

I have a pair of Mandarin Ducks not one year old yet but they were mating and the hen has laid 5 eggs so far. If someone can tell me if other ducks will hurt the babies or not? In the same pen I have a pair of ring teal and a pair of
rose y bills . Or will the mother protect them?

I have a pair of Mandarin Ducks not one year old yet but they were mating and the hen has laid 5 eggs so far. If someone can tell me if other ducks will hurt the babies or not? In the same pen I have a pair of ring teal and a pair of
rose y bills . Or will the mother protect them?
hello, I would not suggest leaving your babies around the males because they could be mean and I wouldn't take the chance. Good luck

Back
Top Bottom