Mandarin ducks

bonzak

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 13, 2010
I'am picking up some adult mandarin ducks today and was wondering what traits to look for. I'am hoping to get two females and a male. My daughter is hoping to have babies next year and hand tame enough to maybe go to fair for 4-H.
What kind of feed should we be feeding them? Any other insights?:
ya.gif
Thanks

Not sure what kind of traits you mean. Males are very colorful and females are mostly brown/gray and white. However, ducklings look exactly alike and juveniles all look like females, even though some may be males. I suggest you go with one male and one female if possible, they usually only mate in pairs, not trios. Also, they rarely tame down enough to handle easily, so they probably won't make a good show bird at the fair. I don't take my mandarins, wood ducks, or ringed teal to our fair, they just aren't that tame. They do let you walk around them, but they don't like you to be too close. I plan on taking my runners and welsh harlequins to the fair, maybe a domestic breed would better suit your daughter. Also, I feed them what I feed all my ducks. It is Dumor Poulty Layer with the duck on the front. Congrats on getting some mandies!

Thanks for info... I knew taking them to the fair was probably a dream after researching. However she thinks she's the duck whisperer because she had the calmest calls at the fair last year. She does have muscovies and calls so that should keep her busy. I'am hoping to build a nice home for the mandies away from some of the commotion.... with a nice beach chair for myself..

Back
Top Bottom