Mandarin/Wood Duck Aviary Requirements

dennin7418

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 15, 2012
Sterling, MA
I'm considering getting a pair of wood ducks or mandarin ducks or both. I'd want to build the aviary prior to their arrival but am looking for information on what size they would need. I have plenty of space but knowing what they need vs what they would want are different things in terms of the cost of materials to build the aviary.

So to wrap it up, lets say 2-3 pairs of birds.

What do I need to have for them? Food prep, water, shelter, size requirements, height of aviary ect..

Thanks!

-Nick

Last edited:
Firstly are they free flying or pioned.
If free flying they would want more room length and height wise than pioned birds.
Plus enough head height for you to walk in and do any maintenance etc
What are you going to use for them to swim in a pond in ground which has some work involved and maintenance or some kids plastic sand pit shells which are easy to empty and move.
The bigger the pen the less chance of it turning into a muddy run unlike a small one.

Well I'm not sure. I think I'd prefer free flyers but I will likely go with Pinioned. Can pinioned birds still get up into trees?

I have a seasonal pond that they would have access too or would otherwise have a pond/pool in their enclosure. I'd imagine they are a little cleaner than my other ducks at least.

I have a pretty nice area that would be about 25ftX15ft (height is unrestricted). Would this be large enough for them?

Also any info on housing requirements would be great.

First both of these birds are raised boxed nesters so you really don't want to get them pinioned. They are perches and being on the ground ont he time would make them miserable.

You need at least 100sqft per pair with fresh water. (10x10 area per pair) our smaller avairy is 10 ft tall and they perch on the highest thing in there that they can find which is 6-7 foot off the ground.

Food wise, they need laying pellets and love crickets as a treat.

Remember with wood duck they require a federal permit if you raise any babies that you don't keep. You can't sell them or give them away with out it or if you buy a pair of wood ducks and don;t like them you hav eto get the permit as well. it cost $75 for a 5 year time frame.

Why do you need a federal permit?
Cause they are native to North America, I had a raised breeding pen for my pair of mandarins, it worked good but if I could do it again I would go with a large on the ground aviary. I feed my mandarins layer crumble, 3 pounds lasted the pair a week or two.

Here is a picture of the pen I used (I no longer have mandarins and I am tring to sell this pen)
Its 6ft tall 8ft long with a 3ft long covered shelter.

Hello, it's been awhile since I've been on this site I'm looking for a song bird or anyone that has knowledge of wood ducks and requirements. I have a few pair but where they do not Roost I'm wondering how big of an area they should have. I have about 10 pair of mandarins and they do Roost. Any information would be great. I was trying to find it under New Hampshire Fish and game I can't find anything near what I want to know thank you all

Well I'm not sure. I think I'd prefer free flyers but I will likely go with Pinioned. Can pinioned birds still get up into trees?

I have a seasonal pond that they would have access too or would otherwise have a pond/pool in their enclosure. I'd imagine they are a little cleaner than my other ducks at least.

I have a pretty nice area that would be about 25ftX15ft (height is unrestricted). Would this be large enough for them?

Also any info on housing requirements would be great.

I have a pair of Wood ducks and they don't roost at least yet because the male is still clipped. I prefer flying you can always clip wings and they grow back. I clipped my male when I first got them because he was to nervous and kept flying into the netting. When the feathers grow back he should be fine now.

I have a pair of Wood ducks and they don't roost at least yet because the male is still clipped. I prefer flying you can always clip wings and they grow back. I clipped my male when I first got them because he was to nervous and kept flying into the netting. When the feathers grow back he should be fine now.

How high are your roosts? I thought with clipped wings they could still jump & flap and get up on things...

Back
Top Bottom