Mandarins FINALLY!!!**New Aviary PICS UPDATE**

DuckyBoys

Songster
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Colorado
smile.png

Finally I got two of my three pairs of mandarins. It feels like I've been waiting forever.

mandarins1.jpg

Plus here are my 5 month old Dewlaps that I got from Patty in Maryland. they are so gorgeous. And talk about luck of the draw - got myself a trio! two geese and one gander. he is so very handsom and I just adore his deep throaty vocalizations...very different from the girls.

dewlaps.jpg

The rest of the gang - you can really see the difference in the color types from the two batches of Buffs - both came from McMurray - but the first four are a much higher quality whenit comes to color. the other 5 have a very mottled pattern to them. And the Embdens are also getting quite big and beautiful. I'm not sure of their sexes yet, haven't taken the time to really look.

gang2.jpg

thegang.jpg

Some gratituous cochin pics! I hatched these guys myself back in June - I got lucky with those too - one roo (blue) and three hens (one blue, one splash, and one black! A perfect ratio I do believe!!

splash.jpg

blue_roo.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks! I'm very excited about re-doing my aviary for the mandarins. I also have a wood duck pair coming soon. I can't wait to have it all finished, of course it will be winter then and watching them won't be nearly as pleasant. I have 4 nesting boxes that will be put up in the hope for some mandarin eggs and wood duck chicks in the spring.
fl.gif

Beautiful! I have 2 pairs of mandarins...the standard color and white! They are SO pretty...the only annoyance is that they are crazy and flighty! lol Mine haven't started laying yet.

M@M@2four :

Beautiful! I have 2 pairs of mandarins...the standard color and white! They are SO pretty...the only annoyance is that they are crazy and flighty! lol Mine haven't started laying yet.

Yes, quite flighty! I am on crutches because I tore my MCL about a month ago so my son was helping me out in the barn yesterday. We really needed to put a little pool into the pen for them and holy cow I thought they were gonna kill themselves flying in to the wire when he went in the pen.

Now I am wondering how the heck I will be able to catch them for moving into the aviary - maybe I need a net? I will feel so much better when they are under the nets instead of the wire, watching them crash all over like that is disturbing. I might just make a "doggie-door" from that pen into the aviary - might be easier than catching them, plus will give everyone out there a chance to come inside during a blizzard.​

Quote:
Yes, quite flighty! I am on crutches because I tore my MCL about a month ago so my son was helping me out in the barn yesterday. We really needed to put a little pool into the pen for them and holy cow I thought they were gonna kill themselves flying in to the wire when he went in the pen.

Now I am wondering how the heck I will be able to catch them for moving into the aviary - maybe I need a net? I will feel so much better when they are under the nets instead of the wire, watching them crash all over like that is disturbing. I might just make a "doggie-door" from that pen into the aviary - might be easier than catching them, plus will give everyone out there a chance to come inside during a blizzard.

Yei, I COMPLETELY understand. I'm always scared they're gonna break their necks! I just stand there and they try to fly past me and I catch them while flying...you could use a net, but be careful...their wings and beaks are VERY fragile...they bleed very easily. I have found this out just from trying to catch them. Whatever you do, don't put them in a small cage that has wire on top--they are likely to break their necks. They are SO pretty to look at, but not very enjoyable to handle, which sometimes makes it a pain. :|

M@M@2four :

Quote:

Now I am wondering how the heck I will be able to catch them for moving into the aviary - maybe I need a net? I will feel so much better when they are under the nets instead of the wire, watching them crash all over like that is disturbing. I might just make a "doggie-door" from that pen into the aviary - might be easier than catching them, plus will give everyone out there a chance to come inside during a blizzard.

Yei, I COMPLETELY understand. I'm always scared they're gonna break their necks! I just stand there and they try to fly past me and I catch them while flying...you could use a net, but be careful...their wings and beaks are VERY fragile...they bleed very easily. I have found this out just from trying to catch them. Whatever you do, don't put them in a small cage that has wire on top--they are likely to break their necks. They are SO pretty to look at, but not very enjoyable to handle, which sometimes makes it a pain. :|​

Thanks for the tips. This pen is like 15 feet high and it does have wire on top - but it is only 8x8 so they don't go up that high...

I will be very careful, thanks!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom