1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mandarins FINALLY!!!**New Aviary PICS UPDATE**

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DuckyBoys, Sep 25, 2008.

1. DuckyBoys

DuckyBoys Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

Finally I got two of my three pairs of mandarins. It feels like I've been waiting forever.

[​IMG]

Plus here are my 5 month old Dewlaps that I got from Patty in Maryland. they are so gorgeous. And talk about luck of the draw - got myself a trio! two geese and one gander. he is so very handsom and I just adore his deep throaty vocalizations...very different from the girls.

[​IMG]

The rest of the gang - you can really see the difference in the color types from the two batches of Buffs - both came from McMurray - but the first four are a much higher quality whenit comes to color. the other 5 have a very mottled pattern to them. And the Embdens are also getting quite big and beautiful. I'm not sure of their sexes yet, haven't taken the time to really look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some gratituous cochin pics! I hatched these guys myself back in June - I got lucky with those too - one roo (blue) and three hens (one blue, one splash, and one black! A perfect ratio I do believe!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2008
  2. DouglasPeeps

DouglasPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2008
    Colorado
    Your flock is beautiful! I love the variety that you have!

3. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Quote:Thanks! I'm very excited about re-doing my aviary for the mandarins. I also have a wood duck pair coming soon. I can't wait to have it all finished, of course it will be winter then and watching them won't be nearly as pleasant. I have 4 nesting boxes that will be put up in the hope for some mandarin eggs and wood duck chicks in the spring. [​IMG]

4. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    just lovely! wonderful! thanks for sharing your flock!

5. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Wow! What a pretty flock you have! Nice variety! Thanks for Sharing!

6. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [email protected]@2four :

Beautiful! I have 2 pairs of mandarins...the standard color and white! They are SO pretty...the only annoyance is that they are crazy and flighty! lol Mine haven't started laying yet.

Yes, quite flighty! I am on crutches because I tore my MCL about a month ago so my son was helping me out in the barn yesterday. We really needed to put a little pool into the pen for them and holy cow I thought they were gonna kill themselves flying in to the wire when he went in the pen.

Now I am wondering how the heck I will be able to catch them for moving into the aviary - maybe I need a net? I will feel so much better when they are under the nets instead of the wire, watching them crash all over like that is disturbing. I might just make a "doggie-door" from that pen into the aviary - might be easier than catching them, plus will give everyone out there a chance to come inside during a blizzard.​

7. Quote:Yes, quite flighty! I am on crutches because I tore my MCL about a month ago so my son was helping me out in the barn yesterday. We really needed to put a little pool into the pen for them and holy cow I thought they were gonna kill themselves flying in to the wire when he went in the pen.

Now I am wondering how the heck I will be able to catch them for moving into the aviary - maybe I need a net? I will feel so much better when they are under the nets instead of the wire, watching them crash all over like that is disturbing. I might just make a "doggie-door" from that pen into the aviary - might be easier than catching them, plus will give everyone out there a chance to come inside during a blizzard.

Yei, I COMPLETELY understand. I'm always scared they're gonna break their necks! I just stand there and they try to fly past me and I catch them while flying...you could use a net, but be careful...their wings and beaks are VERY fragile...they bleed very easily. I have found this out just from trying to catch them. Whatever you do, don't put them in a small cage that has wire on top--they are likely to break their necks. They are SO pretty to look at, but not very enjoyable to handle, which sometimes makes it a pain. :|

8. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    [email protected]@2four :

Quote:Yes, quite flighty! I am on crutches because I tore my MCL about a month ago so my son was helping me out in the barn yesterday. We really needed to put a little pool into the pen for them and holy cow I thought they were gonna kill themselves flying in to the wire when he went in the pen.

Now I am wondering how the heck I will be able to catch them for moving into the aviary - maybe I need a net? I will feel so much better when they are under the nets instead of the wire, watching them crash all over like that is disturbing. I might just make a "doggie-door" from that pen into the aviary - might be easier than catching them, plus will give everyone out there a chance to come inside during a blizzard.

Yei, I COMPLETELY understand. I'm always scared they're gonna break their necks! I just stand there and they try to fly past me and I catch them while flying...you could use a net, but be careful...their wings and beaks are VERY fragile...they bleed very easily. I have found this out just from trying to catch them. Whatever you do, don't put them in a small cage that has wire on top--they are likely to break their necks. They are SO pretty to look at, but not very enjoyable to handle, which sometimes makes it a pain. :|​

Thanks for the tips. This pen is like 15 feet high and it does have wire on top - but it is only 8x8 so they don't go up that high...

I will be very careful, thanks! [​IMG]

9. DuckyBoys

Apr 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Here they are after settling in the re-vamped aviary...they love it in there.

Plus my woodies came. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by