Mandies--- 8 eggs in Nest! help/question on p.4

well today I had to peek. Its way past when I think any ducklings should have hatched. I opened the box a tiny bit and she hopped out. I saw one pushed away broke open egg with a dead baby in it and maggots crawling in it. I tossed that without even checking it further. It filled the broken open egg though. I candeled the rest of the eggs and 3 were runny and liguidy inside. I tossed them. 5 were dark with an air cell at the top. I didn't see any movement though. I put them back for her. I don't know what would cause this outcome. We've left her alone and she's sat on them almost all of the time every day.
What would any of you do at this point? I hate to open one of these eggs up- in case there is any hope or in case its rotten inside. Either way I lose. But just waiting more days seems pointless too.
Help?

Last edited:
I need another male now myself. I agree- they are so beautiful! I really need someone's help here in knowing what to do about those 5 eggs- leave them alone or pop 1 open to see if there is any hope of any of them hatching at this late date?

I would leave them be for a while.. good luck!
fl.gif

thanks- I hope something hatches. But I doubt it at this late date. I just hope the eggs aren't dead and rotting inside. I'd hate to have them explode under her or in my hands...yeck!
tongue.gif

well i checked on her awhile ago. there were only 3 eggs left (?) so I took them out. 1 fell and popped open and it was rotten cottage cheese like stinky (!) stuff. The other 2 I opened and 1 was a mostly formed dead baby Mandie. Oh how sad I was and am!
hit.gif
hit.gif
It had to be the tiniest cutest baby duck I've ever seen- just dead and not all the way developed. Rotten cottage cheese like stuff in there too. The 3rd eggs was empty but gloppy and stinky too.
So my question is: how does this happen when the female Mandie is laying, and then sitting and incubating them? She had privacy and we left her alone during the time. Fresh food and water was available for her when she wanted it.

Hopefully we can try again someday.

The eggs that were gloopy may have not been fertile at all. As for the one that died through the process, thats just nature. I had one mandy on a nest of 8 eggs, she only hatched two ducklings. The rest of the eggs were either infertile or had spider web cracking on the shell which probably lead to the demise of the embryos. The best thing about this experience..........there is always next year!! As they get more exerienced and more mature they become more successful at nesting. This year has been a weird year for nesting for me as well, and for other breeders i have talked to, if i didnt have willing and able banty hens to sit on my eggs, i may have not produced the amount of ducklings that i did this year.

Thank you. I appreciate hearing your words of wisdom...and experiences too! I will keep trying (or rather, let them keep trying next time.) I did lose my 1 male though, so hopefully I can find another one or the 2 females will be ok with just 1 male..
They are such beautiful ducks...I do want more!

Quote:
Its up to you if you want another male to pair up with your lone hen, it would be a good thing to get another male though. But, i actually had a lone hen, and when the other two hens went broody and tended to their nests, the males turned their attention to the lone female, sometimes against her will. Ive read and heard that they are monogamous birds, but ive yet to see it!! My first pair of mandarins i got last year ended up splitting up and went with different mates this spring................i guess its a sign of the times and doesnt only happen to famous people!!!LOL

If you are in need of a drake mandarin i will be able to sell you one in the fall when the weather cools down if you would like, let me know through PM's. Take care!!..................Jason

Jason, thank you! I may do that...let me know in the Fall if you still have an extra male and what your sales details are...I'm in NJ so would that work out ok for shipping from CA? Will sure be interested then....
Thanks again
Lisa

Back
Top Bottom