1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mangy Fox/ Chupacabra

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by dixygirl, Apr 27, 2009.

1. dixygirl

dixygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Well I just now saw a horrendous mangy fox when I went out to feed the animals. And saw first hand what was eating my chicken and ducks. I wish I had a camera with me while feeding. But the back half of this red fox was bald and the skin was red and slimy with puss. His tail was bald too. His front half had hair, so I could tell it is a red fox. It saw me with a bucket of feed as I came around a corner and sat there. About 40 feet from me. It looks very weak and ill.

All my animals are in pens now because I will NOT loose any more to this thing.
    The back half looks JUST like this
    [​IMG]
    And the front half is a regular red fox.

What do people know about Mangy Foxes?
    Are they sick and dieing animals? If so, how long might he last?
    If not how can I kill him?

Where can I buy a good shotgun? Does Kmart still sell them thanks

I remember I saw something like this off in the distance in the woods before I got all my chickens. So at that time I was not so concerned. But now I need to get rid of it.
    Please help

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Chupacabra--you hispanic? I only ever hear my inlaws say that! LOL.

That is one mangy animal!

Look up gun shops or pawn shops. Of course, I don't know anything about licenses and all that.

3. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Oh my goodness, what was that? A fox? They must have some kind of diesese, I would be worried about having something that sick running around, I would think fish and wild life would want to cull them.... at least!

4. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    My husband is Hispanic. So I speak the language.
    Chupa means Suck and
    Cabras means Goats
    So these mangy foxes had been kiling off farm animals and biting the throats of some animals like Goats killing them. The locals called the mangy foxes Chupa Cabras because they found dead goats with bite marks on their throats like from a vampire.
    It is understood now that this legend is nothing more than these mangy foxes, perhaps rabit. Now I've got one UGH!! And I NEED to get rid of it so my animals can have some peace. Another got killed yesterday. A white silkie who just raised 2 babies hatched on valentines day.

I just found this
    http://www.wildlives.org.uk/2006_updates/foxes/injured.htm
    Imformation on the disease Sarcoptic Mange.

5. patyrdz

patyrdz The Madd Hatcher

Feb 26, 2009
    Southern Pines, NC
    LOL! I have seen many programs on TV about the Chupacabra.
    It sounds like the animal has mange. I would worry about it spreading to my animals. Can chickens get mange? [​IMG]
    I know Wal-mart sells low powered guns. I would borrow one or something. That would scare the heck out of me![​IMG]

6. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I had one of those prowling around here year before last. When I did a search for hairless coyote or fox all the chubacabra reports came up. I had a good laugh over that one. I'm just glad he moved on without harassing the animals.

7. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    That is just SAD I don't want foxes getting my chickens but it is sad to think they are out there in need of help too, maybe if they were well they could live better off the land and not go after so many farm animals, IDK its just sad. [​IMG]

8. dixygirl

May 14, 2008
    Thanks I will try Walmart this afternoon and see if I can get a low powered shot gun.

I was so close this morning and it was moving so slow and sitting ... that I COULD have killed it if I had a gun. I could only find edging bricks and I couldnt throw them that far.

Can I buy these the same day at Walmart?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  9. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I think I would shoot it just to put it out of its misery! [​IMG] Besides the fact that it was eating my birds. It is very contagious, and if it is hereditary, then it needs to get out of the gene pool!

Either you need to get him, or call the Game Warden. They would probably come out over this, and not a healthy one, since it is contagious.

Shelly

10. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Quote:Depends on where you are. In Oklahoma, there is no waiting period.

Shelly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by