Manually removed soft shell egg aftercare

Can you post a picture of your bottle?
This is the bottle and a pic of her most recent poop. I know it looks bad. I'm worried she might have retained some soft shell

Attachments

• 20220925_110145.jpg
    20220925_110145.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20220925_105951.jpg
    20220925_105951.jpg
    646.8 KB · Views: 12
This is the bottle and a pic of her most recent poop. I know it looks bad. I'm worried she might have

Can you post a picture of your bottle?
I'm on her 5th dose of enro and haven't seen much improvement. She is still eating and drinking, but tail down and lethargic. Today she found some maggots in the yard and ate several. Couple hours later I checked on her to find that she passed the maggots undigested. I posted another thread trying to get help on the digestive issue but feel like I am not getting anywhere. Any help at all would be much appreciated

Can I ask how many days from when you first discover the problem to when you saw significant improvement?
It was about 5 days. The first day she passed (with some help) most of the yolk and white and just a little sliver of soft shell. She must have retained the rest of the shell for about 4 more days; then on the 5th day she started clucking like crazy and the rest of the soft shell came out in one piece. She completely recovered within a couple hours of passing the shell. Up until then she was looking worse each day: lethargic, runny poops, tail down, low appetite. But once she got it all out she was great. We still have some issues with her with soft shell eggs unfortunately. She actually just laid another one last night. But I've kept her on calcium and just watch her closely after she lays to check for signs of distress. So far she's been ok. I hope your chicken is doing alright. Have you seen any shell come out of her?

It was about 5 days. The first day she passed (with some help) most of the yolk and white and just a little sliver of soft shell. She must have retained the rest of the shell for about 4 more days; then on the 5th day she started clucking like crazy and the rest of the soft shell came out in one piece. She completely recovered within a couple hours of passing the shell. Up until then she was looking worse each day: lethargic, runny poops, tail down, low appetite. But once she got it all out she was great. We still have some issues with her with soft shell eggs unfortunately. She actually just laid another one last night. But I've kept her on calcium and just watch her closely after she lays to check for signs of distress. So far she's been ok. I hope your chicken is doing alright. Have you seen any shell come out of her?
I think the problem started Thursday evening or overnight Thursday bc Friday is when I noticed the yellow runny poops. I took her to the vet Friday to get antibiotics and see what they’d say. I’ve been giving her the anti biotics and calcium and bathing her once a day. Neither the vet or I could feel anything. Each day she is passing more poops. The first day there was almost nothing that came out. She is alert and standing normally tail posture varies. Yesterday was her first poo that more than half of it was brown instead of yellow. Appetite is minimal. I’m trying to push fluids bc she isn’t drinking much but it’s pretty hard for me to get her to take it. I will tag you in my thread that shows her X-ray results and just the play by play in case you’re interested. If she makes it through today she has surpassed my bets expectation that said she’d be gone in 24-48 hours.

I think the problem started Thursday evening or overnight Thursday bc Friday is when I noticed the yellow runny poops. I took her to the vet Friday to get antibiotics and see what they’d say. I’ve been giving her the anti biotics and calcium and bathing her once a day. Neither the vet or I could feel anything. Each day she is passing more poops. The first day there was almost nothing that came out. She is alert and standing normally tail posture varies. Yesterday was her first poo that more than half of it was brown instead of yellow. Appetite is minimal. I’m trying to push fluids bc she isn’t drinking much but it’s pretty hard for me to get her to take it. I will tag you in my thread that shows her X-ray results and just the play by play in case you’re interested. If she makes it through today she has surpassed my bets expectation that said she’d be gone in 24-48 hours.
I looked at your thread; I'm sorry the vet couldn't give you a better prognosis. In my experience, more poops is always a good thing. It means either she's taking in more food/water, or she's passing stuff that's been stuck inside her. I think the only reason she wouldn't survive more then 48 hours would be if she were completely blocked. Just give her time and love. I personally would keep her inside; that's what I did with my Eggo to see what she was eating/expelling. The thing with the pecking order is hit or miss depending on your other chickens. You could take her outside for short periods so they can still see and hear her. I really hope Genny pulls through, I know how it feels to worry for these birds

Back
Top Bottom