Manure uses

Use it to feed your black fly larvae if you have any for your chickens. Just put some larvae in a large bucket with a cover, the kind that has a hole in it for pouring, and give them some bran flakes and cut dried grass then keep adding manure on top every day. They eat it like crazy. Make sure the hole is open. Keep your bucket in very warm area but out of direct sun. I have 30 chickens and use all my manure for the larvae. Make sure you give some larvae to the chickens each day, they love them.

Black fly larvae? They eventually develop into flies (those you don't feed to the chickens), don't they? Aren't we trying to avoid the flies?

I compost mine with saved leaves and the shavings from the coop. Then when they turn brown and fluffy I put it around the flowers , into the garden and around trees and scrubs. It grows things like crazy. but always compost first. Gloria Jean

Quote:
Do you compost it over the winter? I have a pile started, but wasn't sure how long to let it sit.

In an urban setting, the smaller lot requires less compost by volume, but in an urban setting, the flock size is typically smaller producing less manure by volume. So, it matches up well. It is amazing how compost "shrinks" down to a rather small amount. Compost allowed to break down for around a year will be black, almost odorless and useable on lawn, flower beds, gardens, etc. You'll never buy chemical fertilizer again.
smile.png
smile.png

Linda W. Mix :

Black fly larvae? They eventually develop into flies (those you don't feed to the chickens), don't they? Aren't we trying to avoid the flies?

These are not the pesky house flies, these are good flies. If you have Black flies around they will keep the house flies away. Win, Win situation all the way around.​

Back
Top Bottom