Many hens turning into roosters

jo39

Hatching
Apr 12, 2021
Hello, we rehomed a loud crowing rooster a few months ago because we couldn't keep him because we have close neighbours, and in our deeds we can't keep roosters. Days later we heard we had another rooster. We rehomed him a few days later. A few days after that, guess what, another rooster. We rehomed him in disbelief. It's happened again. I've heard the rooster noise the last 2 days. We researched if hens can change sex and and found that hens can imitate rooster noises and that sometimes this happens if a rooster has been taken out. However, the speed of the transition and the fact it's happened several times now is really upsetting and confusing! We'll be left with no chickens at this rate. Anyone any advice/ideas? I know some people say that yes hens can make rooster noises, but this also isn't good because obviously we can't keep a crowing hen for the same reasons as we can't keep a rooster (noise!). Our hens are (and have been) all around 7-9 months old, if anyone is wondering their ages. It's almost putting me off keeping chickens as my daughter gets really attached to them, not to mention the wasted time and money raising them from a few days or weeks old. Help!

If they're all male, the alpha bird is generally the one that crows. If the alpha is removed, another male will rise to take his place, and so on and so forth. Now that it's spring, hormones are high, which could explain why this has suddenly picked up pace.

If you haven't been getting any eggs (which at 7-9 months old, you'd likely have some), then my guess is all boys. But if you can post some photos of the birds tomorrow (full head and body shots, from the side would be ideal), folks here can confirm that for you.

Not to hand, sorry. So if they were male all along, does only one crow (until it's not there anymore, and another takes its place?) And can it be the case that we've had more roosters than hens? I have a friend who for years of keeping chickens has only ever had about 2 roosters, so that's always been my point or reference.
Did you buy sexed pullets or straight run? It would be unusual to have males if you bought sexed pullets but when you buy straight run chicks you get about half of each sex.

Well, if you ordered unsexed chicks you will end up with several roosters. How old are your chickens? And yes, sometimes the dominant rooster will intimidate the other roosters into silence. I had one like that. He controlled his flock with tactics I did not like so he ended up in the bachelor pen.
DSCN0790.JPG

Photos of birds? Sounds more like you had all males? Were any birds laying to confirm that you indeed had females?
Not to hand, sorry. So if they were male all along, does only one crow (until it's not there anymore, and another takes its place?) And can it be the case that we've had more roosters than hens? I have a friend who for years of keeping chickens has only ever had about 2 roosters, so that's always been my point or reference.

If they're all male, the alpha bird is generally the one that crows. If the alpha is removed, another male will rise to take his place, and so on and so forth. Now that it's spring, hormones are high, which could explain why this has suddenly picked up pace.

If you haven't been getting any eggs (which at 7-9 months old, you'd likely have some), then my guess is all boys. But if you can post some photos of the birds tomorrow (full head and body shots, from the side would be ideal), folks here can confirm that for you.
Ah ok. Thank you! Yes I'll take some photos. We do have eggs but then again we have...5 hens left. I think! So we must definitely have at least a few hens I think because we get about 3-4 eggs a day.

Ah ok. Thank you! Yes I'll take some photos. We do have eggs but then again we have...5 hens left. I think! So we must definitely have at least a few hens I think because we get about 3-4 eggs a day.
When are these birds making noise? I have 5 hens several of which have very loud egg song. But it is usually late morning when they carry on. Roosters get started much earlier, often before dawn.

It can happen (getting multiple roos in a batch). We purchased 6 chicks and 1 passes right at the beginning so I don't know it's sex. But of the 5 remaining, 4 were roos.

Back
Top Bottom