Many problems…

CEO

Songster
Jun 14, 2021
I have 1 hen out of my flock of 4 that runs away whenever I try to get close to her and she refuses to eat anything but feed. This has started to become a problem because they had worms and she wasn’t able to receive treatment like others. They all started laying shell-less eggs and I gave them some calcium pills and the other 3 got better but not those one because she didn’t take it. Overall how do you think I could start getting her used to me and how could I give her the worm medicine and calcium.

I gave the other ones the calcium in grapes, but she didn’t like it.

I have 1 hen out of my flock of 4 that runs away whenever I try to get close to her and she refuses to eat anything but feed.

I think @JacinLarkwell has the best solution for right now.

You might also try offering some wet feed. Most chickens really like it.

If she will eat that, then in future you might be able to get medicines or supplements into her that way. (It's much easier to mix things into wet feed than dry feed.)

I think @JacinLarkwell has the best solution for right now.

You might also try offering some wet feed. Most chickens really like it.

If she will eat that, then in future you might be able to get medicines or supplements into her that way. (It's much easier to mix things into wet feed than dry feed.)
Yes, wet feed works on my other ones

How would I avoid it going down her trachea?
I shoot for the lower beak and let the chicken swallow, rather than aim for the throat. The open center of the throat is where they'll aspirate.

For medicating/supplementing via wet feed, you just need somewhere you can herd her to away from the other birds, so she can eat the supplemented feed without being interrupted. So a dog exercise pen with a gate, or even a fenced off section of the run, would work great, as long as she's herdable.

Otherwsie grabbing off the roost at night is the easiest way to handle a skittish bird.

I shoot for the lower beak and let the chicken swallow, rather than aim for the throat. The open center of the throat is where they'll aspirate.

For medicating/supplementing via wet feed, you just need somewhere you can herd her to away from the other birds, so she can eat the supplemented feed without being interrupted. So a dog exercise pen with a gate, or even a fenced off section of the run, would work great, as long as she's herdable.

Otherwsie grabbing off the roost at night is the easiest way to handle a skittish bird.
She started to open her wings and open her mouth. You think this is worms?

Back
Top Bottom