Many questions about dirt floor coop and Deep litter/pests

We're building a new run and I'm going to try the Justin Rhodes wood chip method for the run. Seems like a no brainer to let the chickens compost the wood chips and annually use it for my gardens. Currently I use sand in one run (which works great) and the other is dirt with straw I throw down as I have feathered feet bopping around. Growing anything in my runs is futile with 20 large birds. They free range almost everyday and still wear down any run quickly. Current run sizes 7x15 and 13x20 (365sq ft) both have perches, bales, etc for upward mobility. Both are attached (but separate) to a 8x17 shed/barn.

The deep litter method has never really appealed to me, it seems like a lot of waste but that's just me. In the past I'd use a plastic sheet in the coop, let them poo on it and once it would build up a bit remove the whole sheet, roll it up and dump in in the bin.
I find things stay dryier and less dusty like this. No added waste either.

In the run, tbh I've never had to worry too much, usually the rain would just wash it out every once in a while. People like to use bark chips when it gets too wet and smelly ( something on my to get list atm).

I never had more than 4 chickens and they had a lot of space but I have noticed if you confine them more they make a lot more mess so maybe I will have to start a cleaning routine if i confine them more.
I to am also not a fan of the “DeepLitter” method. I understand that it’s easier and cheaper to clean it out once or twice a year but it seems lazy to me and it seems that all the chickens will be doing is digging around in their own poop. I can’t see how it’s beneficial to them.
I’ll probably just continue to take out all the hay, clean the earth s bit and sprinkle “DE” and a coop deodorant then replace the hay every 5days or so.

Hello again. I'm new to chickens and this site has been a Godsend for me!!
We want to convert an old shed into a coop. It has 55 square feet of floor space and is nearly 7 feet tall inside. It is a metal shed on dirt floor. I currently have 4 2-month old chicks and 7 chicks in a brooder (because chicken math). I plan to deep litter in the coop, but I think also doing deep litter in the run might be a bit much for me (and my back during cleaning).

Is it possible to do deep litter in coop and not run? What do I put in the run when the grass is gone?

I know that I need to put hardware cloth around my coop and run. I do NOT want to put it on the floor of my coop. I'm not sure if a "skirt" of hardware cloth means to bury some or leave a few inches around the outside. (Pictures would be helpful)

The main predators in my area are roaming dogs and hawks. However, EVERYTHING likes chickens, so I want to make sure my birds are protected from anything they may attract.

Thanks in advance.
I think it depends where you live too. If you're in a cooler climate the deep litter method can help keep the coop warmer in the winter. If in a warmer climate then you may not need litter. I'm in northern Vermont. I use deep litter shavings and straw inside my coop. This will be their first winter here. But we've had some cold weather (hard frosts) for two nights (a third night tonight) and the chickens and turkeys are doing great with no supplemental heat. I am looking into solar heating for harsh winter nights but otherwise do not plan to use heat. My homemade coop is not yet but will be insulated and is vented. In the run I am using a thick layer of sand. I love it. It's easy to rake clean and I do that maybe once a week. The fowl pretty much keep it clean with all their scratching around and rain or the hose washes the rest right through the sand. The further back part of my run I planted with left over seeds of all sorts, white clover and corn. Once the corn is tall enough I'll let the fowl in and they can eat what they want and the corn will help shelter them during the hot summers. And they will pasture on nice days in the field close by using portable fencing. This is all attached to the back of my garden and surrounded by solar electric fencing. My first coop. My first chicks and turkeys.

Attachments

• 20210528_090419_HDR.jpg
    20210528_090419_HDR.jpg
    600 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210528_090428_HDR.jpg
    20210528_090428_HDR.jpg
    925.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210528_090358_HDR.jpg
    20210528_090358_HDR.jpg
    739.6 KB · Views: 15
I definitely would consider using something else other than chicken wire for the sides of your runs. For one thing, it eventually rusts, especially where it contacts the ground. And even a medium-sized dog can tear it. It's OK to use inside, say to separate new chicks from older birds, but not out, at least not as your only protection. I know hardware cloth is recommended, but it is more expensive and very hard to work with. I found turkey wire to be a good compromise. It's easier to work with than hardware cloth and it is durable and won't rust. My present run is made of it. I also put a layer of chicken wire over the sides to make the holes smaller to keep out songbirds and keep very little chicks in. I also made the top out of turkey wire, the slightly wider mesh lets leaves and other junk fall through.

will the chickens kill it to eat it?

Our tiny dinosaurs eat anything that doesn't eat them first.

I barely do it once a year. DLM on dirt floor. I would not keep chickens if I was a poop slave to them.

Likewise. But with the small coop I have to change the bedding once every 8-12 weeks give or take a bit according to the weather and other factors.

I have deep litter in coop and dirt in their run, used to have grass. I add to the dirt in 1/3 of the run with wood ash etc...in the middle 1/3 ha've hard ground where their food and water is, the rest of the run is under the coop there is dirt and some grass. If the run is lightly watered on occation, grass will grow in the area of the run not covered. We have 12" of hardware cloth buried around the whole coop and run, but moles still dig their way in. I should add, they only go into their coop to lay eggs, they sleep in the run then they are out running around all day. They're so cute:)

I have deep litter in coop and dirt in their run, used to have grass. I add to the dirt in 1/3 of the run with wood ash etc...in the middle 1/3 ha've hard ground where their food and water is, the rest of the run is under the coop there is dirt and some grass. If the run is lightly watered on occation, grass will grow in the area of the run not covered. We have 12" of hardware cloth buried around the whole coop and run, but moles still dig their way in. I should add, they only go into their coop to lay eggs, they sleep in the run then they are out running around all day. They're so cute:)
Did the moles kill your chickens? We have moles so this makes me nervous!

Back
Top Bottom