Many questions about dirt floor coop and Deep litter/pests

Mine would. They either peck them enough to break enough bones to soften it up enough that they can swallow it whole or peck it into bite sized pieces. I've seen them cut a frog to pieces. Mine really love to swallow a mouse whole after they soften it up.

To you, no to the chickens. That's the way nature works.

Not for any of those reasons. A snake big enough to eat eggs may follow their tunnels into the run. That's not likely but it is possible.
That is good to know, I was Definately worried. I have never seen any type of snake ever here so hopefully it stays that way:)

will the chickens kill it to eat it?

Our tiny dinosaurs eat anything that doesn't eat them first.

I barely do it once a year. DLM on dirt floor. I would not keep chickens if I was a poop slave to them.

Likewise. But with the small coop I have to change the bedding once every 8-12 weeks give or take a bit according to the weather and other factors.

I use the deep litter method in my coop (60 sq ft) and absolutely love it so far. My run is attached (192 sq feet) and its dirt and sand. My husband built the whole thing and we modeled it after the Carolina Coop designs with 12 inch plastic sheeting all around and vinyl on the floor. I just sprinkle a little new hemp bedding each week as needed as well as home made herbs/flowers mixture for pest control. My chicks love it!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 10.32.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 10.32.36 PM.png
    166 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 10.32.29 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 10.32.29 PM.png
    152.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 10.32.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-30 at 10.32.19 PM.png
    154.8 KB · Views: 9

Back
Top Bottom