Maple syrup recipes

Quote:
GO to www.realmilk.com, find your state, and see what the laws are.
Cow shares are not legal in all states, and regular sale of raw milk is legal in a few.
Basically, you buy a share in a cow or goat, and that entitles you to raw milk and even cream every week at a set monthly cost.

ETA
Your state allows it to be sold for pet conspumption only, so you will have a hard time getting it.
But do try!

Last edited:
I use maple syrup for EVERYTHING!
Here Goes;

Maple Mustard Chicken

Chicken Thighs, Boneless or not, but preferably with the skin on.

Put them in a deep baking/casserole dish

Put a few Tbsp of seedy brown mustard on them and stir them around with a fork so they all have some mustard on them. Then drizzle them with the maple syrup and stir them around in that too, then arrange them so they are skin side up. Cover with foil or baste them with the juices from the pan as they cook, the sugar in the maple syrup tends to burn, at least I have that problem
big_smile.png
, otherwise.

Drizzle reserve the juices from th epan to drizzle on the chicken. We like it on the mashed potatoes too!

Garlic Maple baked Salmon

Place pieces of salmon, skin side down on a baking sheet/dish.
Slice or dice some fresh garlic, and put on top of the salmon.
Put a little bit of butter on top of each piece of salmon.
Drizzle with a little maple syrup.
Bake
I do this in the toaster oven.
Also good for scallops

I substitute maple syrup for sugar in chocolate cake, and it is awesome!

Honey Terriaki = Maple Terriaki

I put it in milk for the kids instead of chocolate milk

Maple Whoopie Pies
Follow any whoopie pie recipe, but substitute maple syrup for the chocolate, and add a little maple syrup to the filling too.

Maple Latte's

Make a Latte, drizzle with maple syrup! MMMMMMMM! Good with the maple chocolate cake!

Maple Icing for pastry, use a lemon icing recipe but use maple syrup and a little milk to thin it to drizzling consistency.

Freezing maple syrup?! Never heard of that before!
It is easy to can it. All you need to do is heat up the syrup, pour it into the jars and put the heated lids on. They should seal on their own.
If you have syrup get moldy, you can skim off the mold and boil it again, It is my understanding that last years syrup makes the best candy... Seriously, it just doesn't go bad.

If left in plastic too long, it'll affect the taste. My "Keeping the Harvest" book by Gretchen Mead and Nancy Chioffi says to put it in mason jars in the freezer. It doesn't freeze, it's very thick, I've noticed, but it isn't frozen. Book says once it's in glass and in a freezer it'll last forever.

Quote:
Paula JoAnne's in laws (who live two townships away from me) and I luckily belong to a certified organic cow share. The milk will actually take on a slight yellowish tinge after a few days from all the grass and good plants the cows eat. In the old days, dairies would actually put chalk in milk to whiten it up.
sickbyc.gif
McDonald's milkshake mix has kaolin clay added as a whitener and thickening agent although I do know kaolin is harmless.

I love my cowshare, getting fresh milk and being able to skim my own cream and make my own cheese and butter.

Such a nice thing about here is that there are a lot of local places to get local stuff: maple syrup, farmer's markets and produce stands, with all the dairy farms there's lots of places to get dairy beef, apple orchards, etc... In fact, the local cider mill sells unpastuerized cider. DH wants to try making hard cider with it. Hmmm, maybe I ought to start a new thread.

Love the Midwest!

http://www.101cookbooks.com/ingredient/maple%20syrup

So
far I've only made the scones & they were easy & Dee-Lish-Us!

A State Park near me still taps maples & makes syrup over a wood fire.
It has a smoky undertone that is sooooooooooo GOOD!
I buy a quart for $15 and make it last from Spring to Spring.
I am now hoarding my last cups worth trying to decide what recipe is Syrup-Worthy.

They also stonegrind corn in an old mill and it is wonderful for cornbread or mush.
Both with maple syrup, of course
big_smile.png

I substitute maple syrup for honey in all recipes that call for honey. Yummy Maple cake (honey cake recipe). Also use it in place of brown sugar. Try it drizzled on baked apples, or in apple pie, mixed with yogurt, in oatmeal, cornmeal mush cereal, etc. I also use it in my tea and coffee -- or have been known to just eat it by the spoonful!
big_smile.png

I mix equal parts butter (softened to room temp) and maple syrup to make a maple butter that is delicious on toast and english muffins. I put it in canning jars and give as holiday gifts. Usually people return the empty jars in about a week with a "hint". You can also make honey butter this way as well - equally good.

Back
Top Bottom