Mapuche Huastec Thread

Oh, my! Are those "bumps" on his forehead? It looks like it from what I can see in the pic. We have the other chick like this one and its forehead doesnt look that way. Will try to get some pics when I can. Have to get ready for work soon.

Maybe Houdini is a male, but if so he is the sweetest chicken! And being half Mapuche Huastec and half silkie, how do you guess? Keeping Houdini until she/he crows!

I just love this chicken.
love.gif

I've been meaning to post some pictures for some time. So here ya'll go...
Older chick picks to come...

2-3 weeks old
LL

LL

below are ages 4-5 weeks
LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

Last edited:
That one with heavily feathered legs is not "ideal." I wouldn't use a roo that had so many feathers, but I would let a hen get away with it....

It seems that it is more important to have a "perfect" rooster because he is influencing all of the offspring. If you hatch 100 eggs, all of them will have a portion of his genetics. If you hatch 100 eggs from 10 hens, only 10% will be from your hen. And you will still be able to select from the nicest of those 10.
I didn't realize this until I started breeding, that roosters are more valuable than hens....in terms of breeding. if you know what I mean.
If you have a perfect rooster, then you will be heading in the right direction no mater what you do that year.

Back
Top Bottom