Mapuche Huastec Thread

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm still finding the classification of the different types of South American fowl to be very confusing. I know they don't really have "breeds" in the sense that we do in America with all the APA stuff. Yashar mentioned several different types of "Mapuche" fowl. How are they related? Is "Mapuche" a "class" of birds and "Huastec", "Paco" "Crested" etc are subcategories? Or are all the names just signifying the location where the birds are found? So many questions, lol!

Thanks for the info, guys. I'm still finding the classification of the different types of South American fowl to be very confusing. I know they don't really have "breeds" in the sense that we do in America with all the APA stuff. Yashar mentioned several different types of "Mapuche" fowl. How are they related? Is "Mapuche" a "class" of birds and "Huastec", "Paco" "Crested" etc are subcategories? Or are all the names just signifying the location where the birds are found? So many questions, lol!

Another very critical part of raising a land race breed, from any country, is that you do not cull for any certain color or characteristics, as say you would raising Buckeye or Plymouth Rocks in which all birds must be the same, and follow the APA SOP.
Many I have met since having Icelandics have mentioned which to keep & which to sell/cull?
And so some love the reds, some love just the blues, and after generations this system can cull out the various colors & patterns in a land race fowl breed.

I love my surprise mixes, but I will not be breeding them as I live in a city. Someday I may live somewhere where I can have a rooster....then I will be looking for more of these chickens.

Last edited:
Oh, my! Are those "bumps" on his forehead? It looks like it from what I can see in the pic. We have the other chick like this one and its forehead doesnt look that way. Will try to get some pics when I can. Have to get ready for work soon.

Maybe Houdini is a male, but if so he is the sweetest chicken! And being half Mapuche Huastec and half silkie, how do you guess? Keeping Houdini until she/he crows!

I just love this chicken.
love.gif

I've been meaning to post some pictures for some time. So here ya'll go...
Older chick picks to come...

2-3 weeks old
LL

LL

below are ages 4-5 weeks
LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

LL

Last edited:
That one with heavily feathered legs is not "ideal." I wouldn't use a roo that had so many feathers, but I would let a hen get away with it....

Back
Top Bottom