Mapuche Huastec Thread

I have a question about "best practices" when it comes to breeding these important and interesting birds. Obviously it is very important to maintain these lines without intrusion from modern hatchery birds. However, is it against best practice to allow breeding between a Huastec and a modern type bird, IF the offspring is considered a barnyard mix and not labeled as anything other than a mutt?

I ask because my Huastec roo is favoring a Jersey Giant hen, and my Huastec hen is not laying let. Is it wrong to set the Jersey's eggs, but OF COURSE keep them for myself in my own backyard, not for anything "Huastec breeding" related whatsoever? Let me repeat - NOT to sell or mate back with a Huastec, just to be pets. I will do intentional Huastec-only breeding when I have more Huastec hens.

I am very interested in finding out if letting the Jersey and the Huastec reproduce together has some unforseen-to-me consequence or ramification.

Be nice, I am learning!

I have a question about "best practices" when it comes to breeding these important and interesting birds. Obviously it is very important to maintain these lines without intrusion from modern hatchery birds. However, is it against best practice to allow breeding between a Huastec and a modern type bird, IF the offspring is considered a barnyard mix and not labeled as anything other than a mutt? I ask because my Huastec roo is favoring a Jersey Giant hen, and my Huastec hen is not laying let. Is it wrong to set the Jersey's eggs, but OF COURSE keep them for myself in my own backyard, not for anything "Huastec breeding" related whatsoever? Let me repeat - NOT to sell or mate back with a Huastec, just to be pets. I will do intentional Huastec-only breeding when I have more Huastec hens. I am very interested in finding out if letting the Jersey and the Huastec reproduce together has some unforseen-to-me consequence or ramification. Be nice, I am learning!

WHAAAT?????!!!?????!!
barnie.gif
Mix them??!!!
rant.gif
he.gif

Just kidding.

No unforeseen ramification that I can think of. But like you mentioned, the mix should be pets and not circulated as a breed.

Believe me, I feel the same way. This breed is just too incredible to risk mushing up its genetics. I don't really want winter chicks, anyway, so I won't set any eggs of a mixed pair. I was just thinking outloud about what might be a problem if I did set the eggs. I cant wait to get more hens so I can isolate them.

Quote:MA Mama

Well...
I'll say it is less desirable.
If you get to the place in your breeding where you have several wonderful birds to choose from and one happens to have 5 toes and the other has 4. Then go with the 4 toed one. But you shouldn't feel as though you are perpetuating a highly negative trait if you breed from a five toed bird if that is what you have.
It's not like breeding from a yellow legged Ameraucana or something...perish the though
sickbyc.gif
t...

She still primarily wants to roost in the trees!

He is NOT impressed. Ever. This is one serious dude.

I love my Huastecs! The roo needs to work on his manners, but we are coming to an understanding, he and I. He gets attention from everyone, a true head-turner. The hen is VERY petite but lays a big egg for her size. I will be setting their eggs in the next few months.

Yashar - I am ready for Black Quechua Olmec eggs when you are! I have just one female and she is my favorite bird in the flock.

Back
Top Bottom