Maran chicks

How do I tell if they are male or female? I got 3
I hear you can sometimes tell by the head spot and wing feathering, but might be too late for feathering and since they’re crosses, that might not matter :confused: . I can sometimes tell at two weeks if I have boys or girls based on comb/wattle development, posture, and behavior (roos can often act more alert and stand taller than hens, but those are just clues, no guarantees). I’ve also been able to distinguish boys from girls by comparing their legs - boys legs will be bigger/thicker. Usually by five weeks you can get a good idea of gender, but sometimes you’re still guessing :idunno.

I hear you can sometimes tell by the head spot and wing feathering, but might be too late for feathering and since they’re crosses, that might not matter :confused: . I can sometimes tell at two weeks if I have boys or girls based on comb/wattle development, posture, and behavior (roos can often act more alert and stand taller than hens, but those are just clues, no guarantees). I’ve also been able to distinguish boys from girls by comparing their legs - boys legs will be bigger/thicker. Usually by five weeks you can get a good idea of gender, but sometimes you’re still guessing :idunno.
They are 2 weeks old. One of them has a more distinctive white streak on it's head. Would that possibly be a male??

They are 2 weeks old. One of them has a more distinctive white streak on it's head. Would that possibly be a male??
Eeep! I dunno. I had read somewhere that male white spots were less distinctive (more watered down looking), but I think that has to be high quality, purebred chicks. Do,you have some good pictures you can share?

Back
Top Bottom