Marans Chicks: What Colors are These Chicks?

Hi,
Wildtype Marans are very rare. This is because wildtype is the absence of all other color and modifier genes. One does not create wildtype. One winnows out all other color and modifier genes and what is left is wildtype. Any hypostatic genes corrupt wildtype and it disappears. This is why you need to go to MX Farms. I tired for 5 years to get any Golden Salmon I could create a strain with. I never succeeded because all the pure gene pools were closed by their owners and I could never winnow a wildtype from the other gene pools available to me. I have been watching MX Farms for year and impressed by their work. Note they do not offer Golden Salmon for sale. But you may convince them if you explain you have stumbled on a wildtype pullet. Honoring their work with their gene pool would be very important to them. Breeding birds is much more difficult than dogs because of the wide base of the gene pool and all the sex linked genes.
I don't believe Marie Cantrell in MT has Golden Salmon anymore. But you might try tracking her down. The other gene pool I know of is in Grayling Mich. owned by Arla Meiniger . She was not interested in selling then and I don't know if she still has them.
These two , plus Bev Davis, are the only gene pools I know of that were actually a strain...and I would consider MX Farms here just because of the years they have spent in the variety.
Best,
Karen
Bellwether Collies , retired, (1995-2009)

Just to let you know, I was looking up some of the names you sent and it appears Arla Meininger has recently passed. https://newzgroup.com/MILegals/284963-08-09_1001.pdf
"The decedent, ARLA MEININGER, died 07/18/2018."

Back
Top Bottom